Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Welcome & getting started

Mystique25
Casual Contributor

Daughter has BPD and bipolar 2

Hi everyone. In April this year, my daughter  committed herself to the local mental health unit. I still do not know what the reason was. She was an inpatient for around 5 weeks. On release she came to stay with us because the step up-step down service had no room for her. Because of this, she was not able to access any government funded psychology services or courses as she was no longer seen as an inpatient. She got back on track and even found a job she loves. Last weekend, our world tumbled when she took a serious amount of medication. She was released monday, once again into our care. We have been trying to find her a psychologist which the hospital doctors advised she needs weekly. She cannot afford weekly visits and neither can we. We looked into private health insurance but the highest health insurance only covers around $700 a year which is around 5 visits. I am at a loss and don't know where to turn. I can't stop crying when I am alone. We live in a Qld regional city and there is nothing available that isn't private. She has been referred to counsellors and therapists who have told her they are not equipped to deal with her complex mental health issues. I just don't know what to do. I feel so helpless and hopeless but I'm trying to hold it together for her.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Daughter has BPD and bipolar 2

It sounds like you've got a lot going on at the moment @Mystique25 and I really hear your feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. I'm glad you were able to reach out on the forums, I'm sure more community members will come by shortly and offer some additional support.

We do have a free counselling team here which your daughter (if she is over 18) can reach out to between 10am-10pm Monday-Friday on 1800 187 263. It's not meant to replace a psychologist but it can be useful to provide some support - you could even reach out yourself if you would like to talk to someone. Or, there are some other services such as headspace or kidshelpline if she is under 18. I understand that these services aren't ideal and she would benefit from seeing a psychologist but it could be helpful in the interim. 

Take care, CalmingNature Heart

Thank you. She is 29 and she has a counsellor and social worker but doctors said she needs a psychologist and we just cannot afford it. The mental health system in qld sucks.

The mental health system is far from perfect @Mystique25! I really hope you're able to find to some sort of solution but I understand that its very challenging. I'm glad your daughter has some supports in place in the meantime and I'm sure she values your support during this difficult time.

Take care, CalmingNature Heart

Hello @Mystique25 

Oh sweetheart I am so sorry you and your beautiful girl are suffering.

Has she got a trusted GP? They can write a health plan and then psychologist visits are somewhat covered under Medicare. 

She would need to see the GP for a referral. Start researching local ones and their knowledge around your daughter's symptoms also gap prices of course. 

Here's the link to Medicare with more information

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/whats-covered-medicare/mental-health-care-...

This website is amazing and has many resources.

https://www.headtohealth.gov.au/supporting-someone-else/how-to-support-someone

I'm glad you found us. Sadly you're not alone there are many of us here supporting lovedones with complex mental illnesses. The biggest challenge is the system!!!!

Hugs from one Mumma to another.

Tagme anytime always happy to help ๐ŸŒป

Hi @Mystique25 and welcome to the forums.

I am in Qld and have been able to access a Psychologist with a mental health care plan from my GP and when that ran out my Psychologist has been able to provide more visits through the Primary Health Network. Please ask your GP about these options as you will find them readily available.

Also, does your nearest hospital have an Acute Care Team? I can't tell you my exact location but ACT has been an amazing support in times of crisis.

Thinking of you and sending lots of love ๐Ÿงก

• Thanks Anastasia. She has a care plan but most of the psychologists she has been referred to tell her they are not equipped to deal with her complex issues or, they have no vacancies for at least 3 months. Most say 6 months. The rest just never contact her. She has been told she needs weekly appointments but care plan only allows for 10  subsidised visits a year. The psychologist the public hospital mental health unit recommended is $435 per visit with no appointments available until May.

Thanks Eve, yes, we have an ACT team. She lives alone so I worry constantly that something will happen. When she was hospitalised last Saturday, they did not even call me. A complaint has been made. Emergency contacts should have been contacted. It feels like the whole system is letting her down.

Hello @Mystique25 

I am sorry to hear that. Good she has a care plan. Gosh difficult when she lives away from you. 

Personally I would say keep calling around. It is hard, I tried to find one and got knocked back by dozens due to the complexity of my son as well, so I do hear you. 

Could you reach out to your local health unit to ask for recommendations?

Maybe this BPD might help, they are in Queensland

https://bpdfoundation.org.au/services_qld.php

Maybe there's a BPD support group/s you can join and ask questions...

I am going to tag @BPDSurvivor as they are a wealth of knowledge and will no doubt have some valuable advice. 

Alternatively call SANE, they may be able to assist. They have certainly given me support and advice in the past. 

Don't give up. Yes the system is a nightmare but perseverance gets you there in the end. 

Hope these help, don't forget the @ in front of my name so I get a tag with your message. ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ’™

Hi @Mystique25 ,

I'm saddened to hear that recovery is hindered because of finances.

After reading your posts, I have a suggestion... have you enquired about Telehealth services? I have weekly Telehealth appointments and I've never visited the clinic before. If it had to be in person, I wouldn't be able to go.

Ideally, f2f is better, but Telehealth just takes a bit of time to get used to - it's okay. It works.

I've never had to pay a cent for my psychology appointments. I currently have 2 psychologists and we work on different areas of my life. 

Phone around, and phone interstate if you have to. My psychologist has clients interstate. I wish i could connect you to services, but it's not ideal due to privacy guidelines.

Let me know how you go. 

BPDSurvivor

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance