Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Welcome to the Friends, Family and Carers Forum! Introduce yourself here πŸ™‚

Hello everyone, 

I am very new to this.  I found this doing a Web search for help for my Dad.  My Dad has OCD and he is really struggling at the moment.   Which I suppose means that I am struggling to support him. I feel really lost and have no idea what to do. 

Re: Welcome to the Friends, Family and Carers Forum! Introduce yourself here πŸ™‚

That's amazing @Fyne! And welcome! Hope you find it to be a warm and welcoming community. You can find some tips & tricks here! And another lil tip: if you want other members to be notified that you've responded, you can tag them - use the @ symbol and a drop down will appear, and you can choose their name. If their name isn't there, you can type it out and it should then appear for you to select, then it will show up in blue. 

Hope you find what you're looking for here πŸ˜Š

Howdy @Knuckles70 welcome! I'm sorry to hear that things are rough for you and your dad. I'm glad you came across our lil community! We've got a factsheet about OCD (you might have seen already) that could be a helpful read. If you're up for it, you're welcome to share a bit more of your story, so we can get a better idea of ways we might be able to support you! 

Thank you 😊

I am having a read of all the information. 

So a brief history on Dad.

Dad has had ocd checking since as long as I can remember. Mum was always helping him by checking all items that he was ruminating about.  Generally kettle   stove  lights. 

Mum passed away 4 years ago.  Dad has been doing OK up until he had a heavy fall 8 months ago. With my support he has seen his gp  on medication and has had a stay in acute psychiatric ward.  It hasn't helped and the Compulsions have actually gotten worse over the  months and he has added to his list of Compulsion. He is decided to put the family house on the market, which has escalated.  His compulsions and he's in a really bad way at the moment. To the point that he's in Desperate state and. Despair, I'm not sure what to do. I have seen some phone number here on the website?So I will.Give those numbers a ring tomorrow morning.

Yeah wow @Knuckles70 it has obviously gotten pretty intense. I'm sorry about your mum, too. Been a really tough few years for your family.

Sounds like maybe some ongoing therapeutic support might be good for him? Acute care is helpful in a crisis but treating OCD usually means working with a therapist over time, usually utilising ERP (Exposure and Response Prevention) therapy. 

Yepper we've got a support line you can buzz! They're available Mon-Fri, 10am-8pm, on 1800 187 263. There's also the Guided Service, which could be helpful for the both of you. And we've got some self-care tips and other resources to help you in looking after yourself whilst looking after your dad.

I'm off for tonight, thanks again for sharing and hopefully I'll catch you next time! πŸ’œ

Thank you so much. Will tackle this issue.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance