Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

DarkEcho
Casual Contributor

Intro

Hi. I’m 68 yr old and quit my last Job of 25 years in 2016 to be a Full Time Carer for my Wife, she’s 77 yrs. I’m also an Alcoholic (sober now about 20 years) and have suffered terribly from Depression all my life. I joined Sane Forums, I guess, just to have some form of contact with People who may be in similar situation to myself.

4 REPLIES 4
fluffylight
Peer Support Worker

Re: Intro

Hi @Darkkecho
A very warm welcome awaits you in these forums. Its nice to meet you 🙂

Thank you for sharing a bit about yourself. I am holding so much space for you. I have struggled with Depression myself and I am also a carer in my family. I know how hard this can be.

I am so glad you have reached out here, I can hear that you are carrying so much. You have found yourself on these forums which I hope can serve as a reminder that you are not alone 💗

fluffylight x
hanami
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forums @DarkEcho . It's really nice to meet you. I'm one of the peer workers here at SANE. I enjoyed reading your intro and hope to see you around! It's a lovely community and you're bound to find a few, if not more, people who can relate to what you're going through. Depression is tough and to battle it your whole life is not fun. I used to work in a mental health service for older people (over 65s) and was saddened by some of the struggles they had been through in their lives. So many lovely people, I really enjoyed it there. 

Anyways, hope to see you some more.

Hanami

DarkEcho
Casual Contributor

I think I’d really like a few days away, by myself. In these last seven years the only break I had was 6 days, couple years ago, when I went for ride out West on my Motorcycle. I was able to arrange for Granddaughter to stay with my Wife for those days. When I returned I found out Wife had taken a fall that morning and was at Hospital getting broken Arm set in plaster.

Place was a mess and I spent about 3 hours cleaning before Wife was driven home from Hospital. Of course Her not having use of one Arm for 6 weeks meant I had to provide a lot more care for that period.

Anyway, upshot is that I have nobody I feel I can trust to care for Her for a period of a few days whilst I have a bit of a break.

Welcome @DarkEcho 

Congratulations on 20 years sober! I just reached 18 months sober on Wednesday, so always inspiring to see others who are in recovery and a lot further ahead than I am on my journey. Makes me realise how much I cherish sobriety. Sending thanks to you for your post. 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance