Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

amber22
Peer Support Worker

Topic Tuesday// Embracing Menopause // Tuesday 25th July 2023 5:30-7PM AEST

Join us on the 25th of July for an empowering discussion and the opportunity to share experiences as we explore the transitional phase of menopause. This discussion will touch on the phases of our adult life, our roles, hormonal changes, well-being and support available with special guest from Women’s Health Tasmania @Jen_WHT 

FINAL TT TILE.png

The event start times across Australia are below:

Western Australia: 3:30pm 
Northern Territory & South Australia: 5pm 

Queensland, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Victoria & Tasmania: 5:30pm

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below and we will tag you 30 minutes before the event starts. 

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? Check out the How To Guide for Topic Tuesdays.

Over the next few weeks, have a think of some questions you'd like to ask @Jen_WHT! Hope to see you there in the chat on the night! 

51 REPLIES 51

Re: Topic Tuesday// Embracing Menopause // Tuesday 25th July 2023 5:30-7PM AEST

Hey everyone!  

The discussion will be kicking off in 10-15 minutes on this thread! To come along please refresh this page at 5:30pm and join the conversation. 

In this discussion we will be talking about:  

• Women’s Health Tasmania, and what they offer 
  • How womanhood can affect someone’s life  
  • Support available regarding women’s health 

We can’t wait to see you there at 5:30pm! 😊  

Tagging those that have interacted with the post/ or that are online right now and might like to join the discussion:  @DC3 @Cara2 @Sh6 @Bill16 @Blaze710 @Bow @Daisyrose @Shaz51 @Dimity @Historylover @Loz_3647 @Meowmy @Samantha92 @Snowie @StanD @StuF @SweetiePie @TAB @chibam 

Welcome to everyone joining us or reading along tonight! Firstly, we would like to acknowledge the Traditional Custodians of the various different lands across Australia that we are joining this discussion from tonight. We pay respect to the elders of those communities (past and present) and further extend that respect to any other Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people with us tonight or reading back through the thread.  

Tonight, we are joined @Jen_WHT  from Women’s Health Tasmania for an empowering discussion of sharing experiences and learning about women’s health. This discussion will touch on the phases of our adult life, our roles, hormonal changes, well-being and support available. 

To get us started, I invite @Jen_WHT to introduce herself to the forum's community. We would also love to hear from members of the community joining us tonight about what has brought you here tonight, and what you’re hoping to get out of the discussion. Everyone is welcome here & thank you for joining us! 😊 

To begin, I would like to acknowledge the land on which the office of Women’s Health Tasmania sits is on the home of the muwinina people of the palawa nation. And this place is known as nipaluna (Hobart). The muwinna people who live on this land have been living here for at least the last 60 thousand years, who knows, maybe since time began.

On the lands of which people are you this evening?

The people of this nation did not possess the land. They belonged to the land. They gathered the fruits of the land, they hunted for food and provided for their families. They worked, they played, they sang songs and practiced their culture and beliefs. They shared their knowledge and skills with their children and with each other. They raised their children, nursed their sick, farewelled their dead and above all, lived and loved.

I acknowledge the muwinna people and their continuing connection to this land; the care they and their ancestors give to the land; the resilience of their elders, in the face of overwhelming and continuing injustice since the arrival Europeans, and the strength they pass on to the next generations. And the inspirational young people who care so passionately about their culture (the oldest living culture on the planet) and so generously invite us to learn more about their history, and their thoughts and vision on how we can move forward together.

Just like the original inhabitants of this land shared their stories, knowledge and experiences with each other, we are hoping to do so this evening with you regarding menopause.

Thank you for the invitation to join you this evening. I am really looking forward to chatting with you all.

So, my name is Jen and I am a Health Worker and Yoga Teacher with Women’s Health Tasmania (WHT). I have been with WHT for almost 18 years now and over that time, I have been involved in all sorts of projects, advocacy and work supporting individuals and groups. Just so you know, I am not medically trained despite the job title of Health Worker. I view my role as listening to the needs of individuals and groups and either providing information on resources which can support and improve health or advocating for change and greater access to what is needed. WHT takes a very broad view of health and adopts the World Health Organisation's model of Health: "Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity".

hello i havent been on for a while i have been havin a bad go at things as of late

i have no idea how to work this still. i ahve been away dealin wiv stuff

Hey! I'm glad you've joined us tonight 🙂 @Samantha92 

Sorry to hear that things have been rough recently 

Just keep clicking the refresh button to see new replies, and feel free to ask any questions to our special guest @Samantha92 ðŸ™‚

Welcome @Samantha92. Great to have you here with us 😊 I'm sorry things have been a little rough- please feel free to do whatever you might need to take care of you during the discussion this evening 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance