Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Handlewithcare
Casual Contributor

Mental first aid courses for carers

Hi, I'm a mum of a 17 yo with Psychotic depression (2yrs) who is experiencing ongoing suicidal ideation. He is managed closely by an adol psych and GP and medication and working through another chronic illness. Although I think we have everything in place, he still experiences strong downs in mood.  He really works hard when he can at self care and talks with me when he is really worried about where his feelings are leading him. I feel totally inadequate to cope with being the person to talk him round when he is contemplating ending his life. I have got some good conversation tips for talking with someone who is contemplating suicide from the Sane, Bb and blackdog websites but I want to know if there is a more detailed course for first line carers (preferably online) that other carers have found useful for assisting someone with suicidal thoughts? If I'm the only thing standing between him and the end in the wee hours, a good course might give me more confidence to manage things. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Mental first aid courses for carers

Hey @Handlewithcare ,

You've come to the perfect place! I only sent the following course out a few days ago to a few of our Community Guides, but you are welcome to enrol too. Have a read here:

FREE ONLINE SUICIDE PREVENTION TRAINING

As part of offering training, you'll be pleased to know that SANE has partnered with Livingworks to offer their free Start Suicide Prevention online training to our community.

The training is free until June 30, 2024.

LivingWorks Start is an evidence-based, interactive, self-paced 90-minute online training that will teach you how to:

• recognise when someone is thinking about suicide, 
  • have safe conversations about suicide, 
  • connect people to help and support. 

Register for the training here.

Please use the Sydney postcode ‘2000’ in your registration form.

LivingWorks Start discusses suicide openly and honestly. People are encouraged to seek help if they find the content distressing at any time. For immediate crisis support, please call:

Lifeline (24hrs) on 13 11 14

Suicide Call Back Service (24hrs) on 1300 659 467

13YARN (24hrs) on 13 9276 to connect with Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander crisis support.

The LivingWorks Start program is proudly funded by NSW Health.

You can find out more here, but use the above link to register.

Thanks so much @tyme !!! That is very much appreciated lifeline you've thrown us. I've grabbed it and I'm about to do the 90 min. course tonight. I was also pleased to see other resources on that website for further training. Thanks again. ❤️ to you.

I've done the course in the past. It's pretty good. @Handlewithcare 

Hope it goes well. Being informed can really help the situation.

I did the course and found more confidence to talk to someone who may have suicidal ideation. It is really useful... reassuring for some things I was already doing and helpful for some things I need to practise. The 'Find help' button is also very helpful for go to resources to put on the fridge. Thanks again. I'm going to do more of the LifeWorks courses. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance