Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Dark_Olena
Senior Contributor

Discrimination or over thinking it?

My daughter had a new mental health care plan drawn up by the nurse at the GP. This nurse made a suggestion to my daughter of joing the CWA for social connection and social activities. She loves to bake and needs the connection with people. I have made contact, first with FB page of social events, I got a friendly response and if I needed to further contact her. I explained my daughters Aspergers and social difficulties and was told the group were a very maternal and caring bunch of people(by the nurse)  I then made another contact direct to the CWA FB page and yet to still hear back. Did I scare them off with that word 'Aspergers'. Was it all too hard for them? I would hate to think we have been discriminated against.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Discrimination or over thinking it?

How long ago did you make the contact?

I am just thinking that because it is the Easter Weekend - perhaps the moderators of the facebook page have been busy with events/family stuff and just haven't had time yet.

Once we have taken an action (made contact with a new group etc) because it is so forefront in our minds it can seem to take a long time for people to respond! I think it is because we are feeling desperate for something to happen.

For example, I left a message with a psychologist about becoming a new patient for counselling a week ago and I only just got a message back today. I was so desperate to hear from her I started wondering If I had said something wrong.

Hold out a little longer for contact before worrying if they are being discrimanatory.

(this is of course presuming that the contact you made was only in the last few days)

@NancyDrew, Thanks I will wait it out till next week, I forgot about the big Easter weekend.

Hi there @Dark_Olena any updates on all of this at the moment? Hope you are going okay,

Lunar 🙂

@Dark_Olena Possibly they are just taking their time or finding out about Aspergers or talking with people other people at CWA that have Aspergers. I hope they come through being a strong social support for your daughter

Thankyou @JasJac@NancyDrew@Lunar I am thankful for you support and interest. They did get back to me after Easter, so I have to make contact. I just hope someone has the compassion to assist my daughter within the CWA, take her under their wing to speak, thats my hope. I did hear they were a nuturing lot of women.

@Dark_Olena good to hear and hope it is a great fit for your daughter

I was in CWA for five years and you wouldn't have scared them off. Being Easter and Anzac day in quick succession they may not have got back to their facebook page yet. If your daughter loves to bake and do craft things then CWA is the right group for her. They are also a great group if you are looking for social network.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance