Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Kallista
New Contributor

Discharge planning: what to ask?

Good evening everyone,

I am new to this forum and have just spent some time looking around and can see what a valuable resource it is, and how many caring and generous contributors there are.

I would be so grateful for any tips or resources that those with more experience could share with me please.

First time (public) hospital admission, from emergency dept, of a young adult, for anxiety & depression. Discharge is approaching - what can we expect in terms of planning for ongoing support? What should we be asking/advocating for? We are concerned our family member will be discharged without an adequate support plan in place, particularly as we're coming up to the Christmas period. 

Thank you so much for reading and sharing any advice. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Discharge planning: what to ask?

Hello @Kallista. Welcome to the forums. Hope we can help ease your worry. With the person being discharged. Have they been approached by a counsellor/psychologist or anyone of that nature to offer ongoing support? Is the family Dr (if there is one) aware of the person being admitted to the ED? If this hasn't been arranged, it would be advisable to seek medical care for follow up. May I inquire if the admission was the result of attempted suicide? If it was, a counsellor or psychologist possibly has spoken to the patient, or family or carer (if there is one)? Was the patient admitted to a psychiatric ward or just the ED? If they were admitted to the ED, the usual procedure is to monitor the recovery and the interaction between patient and carer/family. After the patient has recovered sufficiently, they are often transferred to a psychiatric ward, or hospital ward for monitoring till they can be released to the carer or family. Has the patient been prescribed AD's to aid recovery. Hope this answer has given you some ideas what to ask for.

Hi @Kallista, welcome!!!
Anxiety/depression Hospital Discharge Planning seems to have become very much the clients (patients) responsibility these days, in MH. The night before I was discharged the put a form in front of me to fill out my own plan. I wasn't sure but guessed from my General Nursing experience what they might want me to say. I thought it was some kind of test & waited for them to come talk over what I said. They didn't, more did they give me a copy - I was too depressed to push the issue. As a nurse I always discussed discharge place with patients. All they seem to want to know (so they can pass of duty of care responsibilities) is What Psychologist you will be seeing regularly?? All they need to have is your say that you will and their happy. But even that is freedom of choice (not binding, just recommended). The other important thing to have is a Crisis Management Plan in case of setbacks. I had a list of numbers in my diary & phone (lifeline, MHACTeam, suicide callback, personal strategies...). A social worker could bevgood to talk yo re followup. There's support groups, self improvement , self awareness training, Community Healtb or MH Case Managers may be allocated to do home visits for a while after d/c.. All the best with this as the public 'system' is going broke. Before discharge as if you could take part in a CASE CONFERENCE where members of the team come together to discuss a clients progress... It would help if this family member nominated you as their 'Allied' person.
Its wonderful to see you supporting your family member. Don't give up on them 🙂

Hi there @Kallista,

Welcome to the forums 🙂

I agree with both @pip and @Former-Member about seeking a counsellor and psychologist through the hospital referrals but also making sure you have a safety plan for the holiday period in terms of suicide.

It would also be really beneficial to link in with the local community centre in terms of support groups, workshops and programs that they offer to provide as much support as possible to your loved one. Professional support is equally important and effective as comunity support, especially with young adults.

Headspace offers a range of services for young adults and are located nationally, here is a link to their website-

https://headspace.org.au/

Please also take care of yourself during this time as that is hugely important to the recovery of your family member. You could look into contacting Mental Health Carers Australia for further support for yourself- http://www.mentalhealthcarersaustralia.org.au/

Take care,

Lunar

Hi @Kallista

When I get home tomorrow, I will list some information I have in a file I just found at home........

It's just getting your own health care plan for yourself and your loved one. 

That would be great @PeppiPatty !

I just got home, my husband is ill.....I'm just lookiing for the health care plan......gimme a couple of hours....my home is a huge mess.....( typical ) and I'm playing Len. Cohen loudly.......

Hi,

Well, it's true, I have a plan for people suffering times of mental ill health that need representation via prison and Cant find the health care plan. But remember what is on it.

I have printed the prison stuff if you want me to post it please tell me.

1. On a USB stick:

A.

Behaviour and Grades at School before being dignosed.

Gp.

Up to date Vaccination reposts.

Illness

Hospital admissions for illness or times of mental ill health.

THEN diagnosis.

Hospital admissions.

Medication

Tolerance of medication

Changes on Doctors and Psychiatrists

Short term 

MEdium term

Long Term thoughts about life.

REaction on MI 

This can cover things like self medicating. Fear, bodily reactions.

Symptoms.

Support.

Loved ones to contact. 

B

BODILY REACTIONS TO MEDICATION: 

Height:

Weight:

head:

eyes.

Nose.

Mouth.

Ears.

Skull.

Shoulders.

Arms.

Hands.

Stomach.

Hips.

Heart.

Chest.

Legs

Lower legs.

Feet.

Toes.

C. Psychological wellbeing.

Regularly updats: once per month with assistnce with a loved one or carer or GP. 

Please add what you think ??

Hi @PeppiPatty

That's a helpful resource to have! Thanks for sharing it.

I think what @Kallista is particularly interested in is things like how to make sure you have the right support (eg: a treatment team) etc.

Do you have any insights into that?

DEar @Kallista

I can only speak to you about my own advise and see if it gels with your situation.

Thanks @NikNik for getting me on the right track again......I am mind spacing again.........in a good way of course.....

seeing your Gp with your questions .

Take any help from Silver Chain or another agency like Cleaning: Social Support: taking your relative to appiontments like to the hospital for a while.

Supprt workers: Anyone to slowly explain diagnosis if newly diagnosed. My husband was angry about his diagnosis for over 30 years and no one sat him down and explained anything with him. He's not angry anymore.

I can't think of anything else trying to get trhough the Christmas Period. Giving a call to the wonderful place called Arafmi will not go astray.

PP  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance