Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Splash
Casual Contributor

Dealing with doctors

Has anyone had trouble with getting someone back to work. The workplace wants clear guidelines and the Dr will only provide a vague reference to a graded return to work.
How do I solve this?
5 REPLIES 5
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Dealing with doctors

Hi there @Splash

That is a really good question! Hopefully some of the members can come and give you some advice on this matter. 

Is this person seeing a psychologist? Perhaps they can work with a psychologist to derive a plan to assist them in getting back to work?

Take care. 

Heya @Splash,

I will share all i know with you! if you have questions, please fire away!

Just so you know me a little, i have a partner who lives with bipolar (currently unable to work due to anxiety) and as a bonus, i am the practice manager of a private GP surgery!

RTW programs are challenging for everyone involved... patients, GP's and the employers, unfortunately though... insurance companies love them!

So if the person is under workers compensation the guidelines are quite clear for a return to work plan. Contact the workcover/worksafe helpline for your state and speak with a consultant, they are really knowledgable and ususally pretty helpful. 

If they are not on workers comp, it is easiest to get the GP to follow the same model anyway. The patient will need a GP Mental health Care plan, this can be done by the GP or with the help of the Psychiatrist. One of the goals of the plan must be to return to work by xxx(date). they need to list what they will do to achieve this, i.e. fortnightly psychology sessions, monthly medication reviews, slowly increasing hours/days at a steady rate. the GP can advise an expected return to capacity date, but as we know with MH, this can change drastically with small changes. as long as the GP keeps the plan up to date, the employer/insurer should be happy.

I hope that is what you were after, if not, steer me in the right direction and i will try my best to help

xx

Tigz

Hi @Splash,

Thank you for your input @Former-Member and @Tiggeroo.

It is a great question and I wonder if any other community members have had experiences they could share which might be helpful to hear? 

There is a national line you can call the Fairwork Ombudsman on 13 13 94, they might be able to asist your enquiry too? The website for that can be found here

Wishing you all the best @Splash please let us know if we're not on the right track.

Happy Friday!

Pebbles 

Thanks @Tiggeroo. I was not aware that it was necessaryfor the Gp to be involved.He is now and everything is sorted. I still don't understand why the psychiatrist couldn't just give the workplace the documentation or at least tell us rat we needed to get the gp involved.
They keep telling us he should not be stressed but it seems like they pile on unneeded stress.

@Pebbles
The employer is just trying to get clear documentation about the return to work plan so I don't see how Fairwork could assist. The problem was that the Dr wouldn't provide clear guidelines.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance