Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

helpmylove
New Contributor

My Girlfriend has a disorder and her family and friends wont see that she needs help.

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend or ex girlfriend (unsure which today) has a disorder she says was diagnosed by a doctor called PTSD. She was sexually abused as a child and physically abused in past relationships. I have tried to get back with her many times to give her the support she needs and to get her proffessional help but she keeps pushing me away. Her family and friends seem to think tha she has got it under control and i am getting so frustrated trying to make them see that she needs help. What can i do to get her help or get her family to see that she needs help?

Please help me. This has been going on for 6 months.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: My Girlfriend has a disorder and her family and friends wont see that she needs help.

Hi @helpmylove

Welcome to the Forums. I'm really glad you found us.

I can tell you you're definitely not alone in your experience. Not only are there many here who care for loved ones with PTSD, there are many who care for people who don't accept help.

There is a discussion started by @Used2Be about caring for a partner with PTSD here. It's an older discussion, but there's still a lot of useful information in there.

As I said, many carers here will be able to relate to your situation, particularly about the person they care for not wanting professional support. We ran a Topic Tuesday on it, which you can read about here . On page 2, @Cazzie talks about what it took for her husband to seek help for his PTSD

You mentioned she was seeing a doctor who diagnosed her - is she still getting any form of treatment?

Re: My Girlfriend has a disorder and her family and friends wont see that she needs help.

Hi @helpmylove welcome to the Forums and thank you for sharing your story.

It's understandable that you're feeling so frustrated, given that no one else around you seems to see what you see. 

It sounds like you've really noticed her internal struggles and unhelpful patterns of behaviour, and you feel a lot of compassion for her, and want to see her living well. Unfortunately not all people are so well attuned to recognise the sublte signs and symptoms of mental illness. But it is clear you want to be there for her.

I'm wondering, how has she responded when you talk to her about her past trauma, and her diagnosis? You emphasised that her family and friends do not acknolwdge there is any problem, but does she? Does she feel she needs more support?

Look forward to hearing more of your story.

- Mosaic.

Id like to thank everyone for their help but i have decided to walk away. She doesnt want my help and i am unable to keep giving her my all. Thank you all again for your help.

Hi @helpmylove

I hope you're doing okay.

It is SO hard when you want the best for someone and you can see such a clear path for them, but they are just not willing to get help.

Sadly, it's only the individual who can make that choice for themselves.

Take care of yourself.

Nik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance