Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Louise
Community Elder

Car accident

My 17 yr old son had a psychotic episode in October and is now taking medication, with a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder. He has been going well and got his provisional drivers license 2 weeks ago. Last night he had a car accident due mainly to inexperience. He was unhurt, but there is a fair bit of damage to the car and I suppose he felt very bad about that....because today his behaviour was bizarre and seemingly out of character. He went off to college in seemingly good spirits but I received a call from the vice principal at 2pm asking me to come and pick him up. He had been caught with alcohol on campus having drunk three quarters of a large bottle of whiskey straight. Needless to say, he was very ill and vomiting and has been suspended. It's very strange because normally he shows no interest in drinking alcohol at all.

My question is...can an upset like this precipitate another psychotic episode?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Car accident

Hi @Louise,

Very bad news about the car accident, but I'm glad your son is OK. I guess this could be an 'aftermath' of having the accident, especially if you son doesn't normally have an interest in alcohol.

I am not really sure about whether this might trigger another eposide, but I certainly hear your concern. Perhaps you might be able to consult your GP about this?

I just wanted to acknowledge your concerns and let you know we are here. Maybe some other members have some ideas - @Jacob101 @Kiera80??

Take care,

Hobbit.

Dear @Louise

Have I met you ? It's justanother48yr here. I thought your message shows lovely concern for your son. Just to let you know, my son, will not take medication but have spent time with him and my family and myself think he's got bipolar. Both my patents have spent time with him and are retired professionals.

My experience of my son is that when he has gone through something that he does not expect to happen , he has fallen into mental ill health.
This is a subjective observation because he is over 21. I have no idea of what his GP says to him except he sees one and reached out to the early psychosis team the last time he thought unwell thoughts.

Please write again though, take care,

Hi @Louise

How is you and how is your son doing?

The bad news to hear about the car accident, but as Hobbit mentioned. It's good to hear that he's ok. To answer your question: can an upset like this percipitate another psychotic episode?

I can't answer this with any certainty, but here's some information that explains that it can be a combination of factors such as stress, and drug use (i.e., marijuna, speed, and LSD) that can contribute to an episode.

Is your son open to seeking help or information? If so, he may want to check out Reach Out, a service specifically for young people.

Hope this helps.

CB

Thank you all for your replies. I think my son has stabilised, though I haven't seen much of him over the last few days as I've been busy. I will just continue to keep an eye on him and remind him to take his tablets.

Hi @Louise,

How are you ?

Kind hello from Anne

Well thanks Anne! 

How are you?

I'm Well. Thanks for asking.
I sent a text to my oldest son telling him I'm thinking about him. How is your son ?

He's going pretty well thanks! Tomorrow is his last day of being suspended from college. He seems stable and in good spirits and taking his meds. He has even given some thought to a future career, which is good. Did your son reply to your text?

No he didn't. I didn't expect him to even though it hurts a little I have always wanted him to be free from needing me and for him to manage his own life. It only hurts because I find it reassuring to hear his voice.

But I'm actually very fine. :0).

Today went to work and came home to start a crochet doily I promised someone. Then I get Silver chain in once a fortnight. I reflected on how much better my life is since getting them in about 18 months ago. My home is clean which before it wasn't, I bought myself clothes that I feel comfortable and I really like not from an op shop but still good price from target. They have my style of clothes ! I lay byed some more and I feel more unrestricted from problems than ever.

I always think about my oldest son but he actually listens to me when I do see him...... A week once per year. He chooses not to take medication...... That's a real worry.....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance