Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self-care - Why can it be so hard?

I am so sorry I didn't realise I was on the wrong side of the fourms. So sorry @Former-Member @Shaz51   

@Former-Memberyou are welcomed anywhere in the forum  my friend , please stay and share , it is soo nice to see you xx

Hello @547@Romi@OMG12@B_01@bundybird@alwaysangry 

No need to apologize @Former-Member  we can all learn from each other. 

Oh @Shaz51 Hugs (((Shaz)))).....

Adge

My Fischer's Lovebirds look exactly like this @Tortoiseshell

Not as fluffy or cuddly as a Tortoiseshell Cat - yet far more colourful & very Chirpy....

Fischer's Lovebird: Housing, Pet Care, Temperament, Pictures

Hi, i haven't read all the responses and I may be in the wrong discussion for this, if so please point me to the right place, but in relation to covid-19, how can a person self care?  My partner has anxiety and panic attacks and he is working from home, I was working at home as well until I recently lost my job.  So normally my self care would involve going out somewhere to get away from the house, he rarely leaves the house and we live in a tiny flat.  I am stuck here most of the day now and I only leave to go the supermarket.  The library would usually be a good option, but even though the libraries have just re-opened (i'm in SA) they are only allowing 10 people and for a limited time period.  I have been on a few bike rides but I worry about leaving him alone in the house for long.  

Yippee!

My Yoga classes are starting again next Monday 18th of May (I just discovered from Website). My Yoga Academy is Re-Opening, next Monday.

I’m excited!

This is my first piece of happy (non-Restictive) positive news - in about 8 weeks.

Gee I’m stiff & inflexible – it’s going to take a lot of work to regain what I’ve lost.

Yoga is one of my most important (main) means of Practising Self-Care.

Adge

wonderful @Adge Smiley Very Happy

hello @30something Heart

Hi @30something 

Self care can be challenging in difficult times. 

We do need to grieve the losses we have. I guess self care helps build our emotional strength so that the burden of these losses do not seem so heavy.  

We had a discussion on the 8 dimensions of wellness  (you can click on the link) where we looked at the different aspects of self care and how integrated these are.  

Are there some things you might like to try such as new recipes (perhaps seeing what you can achieve on a strict budget), doing a free online course or research into a particular topic, follow an exercise routine on YouTube or the like? 

Hey @Former-Member lovely to see in the thread. When I consult Dr Google it says that self-care is anything that is deliberately done to support an wellbeing and health. To my mind, for someone going through a lot of distress or a crisis, their self-care could absolutely be purposefully taking care of the basics. 

@Adge good news about your yoga classes 🎉👏and your birds look beautiful, it must be lovely to have their presence in the house.

@30something I can hear that this is an incredibly difficult time. I know for a lot of people restrictions and isolation have meant usual self-care strategies have not been accessible, and it means really rethinking how we support ourselves. It sounds like you have been through a lot of change and stress, I hope you can take one step at a time while you think about what will work for you. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance