Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking after ourselves

Hobbit
Senior Contributor

Positives of being a carer

Hi everyone,

Thought I might continue this discussion from out Topic Tuesday night here.

We often tend to focus on the more difficult things in our lives, so I thought it would be good to talk about the positive stuff. So, what do you guys see as the positives of being a carer?

Let us know your thoughts.

Hobbit.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Positives of being a carer

Hey @Hobbit ,

Haven't seen you around in a while. I was just passing by, and wanted to check-in with you. How are you travelling?

tyme

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi all,

I was interested to see this thread. It would be good to have a link to the Topic Tuesday discussion if it is still available @tyme . My immediate response was to think that there arenโ€™t any positives. But of course everything in life has both bright and dark sides. 

I have done so many things which I guess I could classify as help seeking activity. In trying to understand what was going on with my family members and how to help things work better I have undertaken university degrees, joined forums like this, tried local support groups and consulted with psychologists, doctors and relationship therapists. I am not sure I would have done any of these things if left to my own devices. All these things have benefited me in one way or another.

So I guess I should be grateful ๐Ÿ˜‡ for being knocked out of my comfort zone.

Hi @Former-Member 

I love your perspective! It can be nice to take a moment to reflect on the strength and growth we have found ourselves with, particularly when the day-day can feel incredibly challenging to say the least. 

It looks like that thread is quite an old one but I believe this is it; https://saneforums.org/t5/Special-Events/Topic-Tuesday-Carers-Week-CLOSED/m-p/9939#M182 

You can also find any of the past Topic Tuesdays here; https://saneforums.org/t5/Special-Events/bd-p/forum-008 

Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

Good evening @Former-Member ,

Thanks for posting. Good to hear from you.

Another Topic Tuesday it could be is Topic Tuesday // Supporting loved ones living with BPD // Tuesday 25th January, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT 

This looks into the strengths of carers.

Speak soon,

tyme

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance