Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Parents Supporting Unwell Adult Children

Hi again @TuiGlen 👋

This is the Carer side of SANE forums.  I have tagged you to a thread where I and other parents are carers for our children who have mental health challenges in a variety of different ways.  It’s clear from your post on the Lived Experience indtroduction page that your daughter is really struggling with mental health issues in response to her partner’s illness, with addiction in the mix.

Here you are amongst others who hear your heart and understand through experience something of

what you are going through.

@patientpatient 

Noticed things  might be a bit rough going at present, how are you bearing up?

Hi @Former-Member, yes he's had another relapse. Average up till now was two years between relapses but this one was one year since the last. We're on the upside now, he's stabilised and improving. Private psych made no medication adjustments despite the extra appointments, which was  really disappointing. CATT saved the day but the last few months have been difficult. I'm OK now, thanks for asking. I was completely out of patience with him for a while... yes I know it's the illness but the constant criticisms, agitation, odd talk and wierdness really wore me down. This cycle of steady progress and increasing hope followed by falling off a cliff is awful... no other word for it.

Hi @Susan62 

There are a variety of mental health issues we are challenged with in our kids on this thread.  Hearing you, and understanding the uncertainties and struggles.

Hello @Aria  come and meet some others who support their adult children.

Thanks @Former-Member 🙏 

Hi @Aria 👋

I have two kids suffering different presentations of anxiety and depression.  In the background is their father who doesn’t recognise that he is unwell, probably from a basis of trying to outrun anxiety and depression, quite literally .....

There are other parents here with a variety of illnesses and disorders they are learning to help support and manage, schizophrenia amongst them.  Perhaps nothing teaches so well as lived experience, to understand what others are going through.  You will find advice, support and understanding here .... 

Hi, this is my first post on the forum.I am supporting my adult very unwell son. It has been very challenging and I have started to have anxiety and panic attacks. I have suffered a burn out and now trying to use self care, with medication to cope , while still being there to help my son.

I feel very alone and currently he is homeless and refuses to answer my calls. On a positive note he rang two days ago and was ok.

Hi @Elle2 and welcome to the forums 👋

I am glad your son called and he was okay, but it’s such a worry ..... 

I am sorry you have been suffering burnout, but also good to hear that you are investing in self-care to support your own recovery.  Many of us run to that state before realising the hazard is there and very real.  

There is a very supportive thread posted by @Shaz51 about self-care tips for carers.

Hi also to @Leapofleopards 👋 ..... this is one of the threads I mentioned to you earlier today.

hello and hugs @Elle2 

hello @Tufftimes , @patientpatient , @Former-Member , @Faith-and-Hope 

I find audio books in the car while driving help me more than almost anything else . I was finding I was sobbing a lot while driving (I drive a lot) as I was alone in the car and you know how it is ...but with a good book , I get them from the library , I started with”  Buddhism for busy people “ but I like everything ,easy English chic lit , and sometimes classics and occasionally a non fiction just finished “the cave’ by Liam Cochrane the story of the rescue of the Thai soccer team it was engrossing . It really helps to give your mind a break ,to take time out from your grief and despair and engage in other thoughts . Talking books have been a lifesaver for me. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance