Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling excluded in a loved ones treatment journey // Tues 21 Aug, 7pm AEDT

I think we might have posted at the same time @CharlieBravo! I've included some tips here. Anything there you think could be helpful?

Re: Topic Tuesday // Feeling excluded in a loved ones treatment journey // Tues 21 Aug, 7pm AEDT

As tonight’s Topic Tuesday comes to a close, I wondered whether each of you might be able to share one or two key things you’ll take with you from our discussion tonight?

A service could include a carer peer worker, with lived experience, on its staff, or designate a staff member to include carer support and inclusion in their role. Given the prevalence of mental illness, it's highly likely that a service will already employ a/some staff that are also carers. It's about including, listening, and adjusting how a service operates, to respect and acknowledge the carer voice.

A peer work force is so critical to improving service delivery for sure @Lynne1

Sorry, I'm drowning in a sea of posts... Was there a link to the Guide?

I've mentioned some resources, and have added some others below. It could be interesting for you to see what's been happening in Tasmania. I believe you'll find the Mental Health Carers Tas website an interesting read.

A Practical Guide for Working with Carers of People with a Mental Illness, copyright Mind Australia and Helping Minds, 2016.

Tasmanian Carer Action Plan 2013-2018

Mental Health Services Consumer and Carer Participation Framework

Carer Recognition Act 2010

Tasmanian Carer Policy

National Standards for Mental Health Services

Rethink Mental Health: A long term plan for mental health in Tasmania 2015-2025

Mental Health Carers Tas Inc Caring Voices Project

I think the HOW you approach a pdoc makes a difference.

Our loved ones are under their care and we do need their guidance. It is a thankless job being on a public mental health treating team and I try to ensure that I show genuine gratitude when it is warranted.

I make it abundantly clear to Mr D's pdoc that I value her opinion, that I ask questions so that I can appropriately support my husband. When advocating for Mr D I provide links to scholarly articles that influence my thoughts  etc.  I don't think she has had a carer that has done that before.

It can be hard to keep up for sure @CharlieBravo We'll post a few links and resources in a moment 😊

I understand! I've keyed in the full title of the Guide in the list of resources I posted; it should be easy to retrieve. The headspace national website has a link to the Guide as well if that helps 

Sounds like the key there for you is collaboration and partnership @Former-Member Very useful to keep in mind.