Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Newbie here

Morning @Shaz51 and @TuxedoCat 

I feel rested today after a few days off (finally!) how are you going? 

Thank you both so much for sharing your experience with adhd. I’ll have to go and check that thread out. 

@TuxedoCat it sounds like you felt incredibly validated when you received your diagnosis, and how wonderful that treatment was able to help you manage your mental health. It must have been like knocking over a set of dominos! I love your suggestions and will give them all a go and report back. Thank you 💛

@Shaz51 hello, and thank you so much for sharing your story with me - your husband and your boys are very lucky to have someone who adores them so much! I hope you don’t mind me asking, but did your husband seek treatment himself or did he need a lot of encouragement (and what works/doesn’t work for the two of you?)

I have spoken with my partner previously about seeking treatment for his ADHD to help with managing symptoms of depression and he was receptive at the time (I must have read every ADHD book under the sun) - I know he wants help but it’s just the getting there part we seem to be struggling with. Again, I walk the tightrope between providing encouragement to seek treatment and making him feel like he’s not good enough just as he is. I will mention those podcasts to him and see how we go. But in the end you are right, it needs to be his decision. I guess I start to rush him sometimes because I just want him to experience happiness - but I know it’s not the best way. 

I have booked in to speak with a counsellor myself in the coming weeks so hopefully will return with some self care strategies and start learning to just accept things the way they are and enjoy the ride.

Thank you both again so much 

Re: Newbie here

@clh1, I just want to say it is totally understandable that you're in a rush. Him not treating his depression of ADHD (no matter the reason!) is having a big impact. And even making you think about how this may impact your future ❤️ 

I'll respond over in the ADHD thread ❤️ 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance