Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

happyPeaceLilly
New Contributor

NDIS

Hello!

This is my first time posting. Actually the first time looking at SANE too.

We recently had an NDIS plan approved for my brother. I am a plan nominee and trying to set up support for him. I am wondering how others are going with setting up support through NDIS? It will be very small steps for us with many issues to try and work our way through.

Have you found any tips for finding Support Providers who will properly support and find the special support workers needed to work with people with complex mental health needs? (so much use of the words support and need in one sentence!).

As an introduction to me; I have chosen happyPeaceLilly as my pseudonym,  as they remind me to fill my own cup, such a dramatic plant, they collapse to let you know how very thirsty they are, and they reward us by springing back up again quickly after getting a drink. I feel like I have done a lot of thinking, writing, emailing, talking, and I'm not going to get the same level of thanks that I get from my peacelilly - so I like that I have a couple around my desk. 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
Louise7
New Contributor

Re: NDIS

I have found it tricky however have handed it all to a support co-ordinator and they help a bit depending upon who the worker is that you get…a lot of googling tbh 

Thank you Louise7. We have a support coordinator too. We are at the very beginning of this process - I ended up ringing the one provider that mentioned ‘complex care’ on their website. It was reassuring to hear  that they have other clients with complex mental health needs. Hopefully, things can get a little better, little bit by little bit. I hope you are finding that for you too. 

Hi @happyPeaceLilly,

Welcome to the Forums, my name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is nice to have you with us. 

Unfortunately I don't have any experience or advice with the NDIS but we do have a lot of supportive members with an array of experience so hopefully some other people will have some useful advice for you. 

I just wanted to offer you a couple of tips to help you better navigate the Forums:

Tip 1 - if you want to directly chat with someone on the Forums use the @ symbol and then start typing their name directly after it. A dropdown box should appear, and you then select their name. This ensures that they are notified of any posts you mention them in.

Tip 2 – the most recent posts are the latest page numbers.

This is a link around some general tips and tricks for Forums to Tips and Tricks.

I also want to say how much I love your Forum's name and the meaning behind it.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather 

Hi @Louise7,

I just wanted to say welcome to the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is nice to have you with us. Thank you for reply around the NDIS - it's always great to have peoples opinions that have experience with the topic in question.

Just a couple of tips to help you get started on the Forums:

Tip 1 - if you want to directly chat with someone on the Forums use the @ symbol and then start typing their name directly after it. A dropdown box should appear, and you then select their name. This ensures that they are notified of any posts you mention them in.

Tip 2 – the most recent posts are the latest page numbers.

Here is a link around tips and tricks for the Forums to - Tips and Tricks 

I look forward to seeing you out in the Forums 🙂.

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance