Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

ferngully
Casual Contributor

Experiences with loved one coming home from hospital

Hello, a loved one who I live with was involuntarily admitted to hospital this week with intense psychosis during mania as well as a more complex diagnosis. As the hospitals in my area are very busy and lacking beds during COVID, there is talks of them being released in a few days. I am absolutely terrified. I am still in shock and hardly started recovering from the traumatic experience of seeing them in that state and being the one who put them in a scary place. I know there was no other option to get them the help they urgently needed but I still feel guilty and heartbroken. Even if there are delays in the release, I am scared of what happens if they come home. Will they hate me for calling the services and getting them committed? Will they ever trust me again? What if they are still psychotic or run off?

I would love to hear your experiences of what happens next... immediately and for the months following. Give me the good, the ugly and the outright frightening. I would like a grasp on what to realistically expect. Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Experiences with loved one coming home from hospital

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I know a little about what to expect and would love to offer some support.

Generally, mania isn't very sustainable over the long term, so I doubt you'll be dealing with the same kind of intensity. It is likely that there'll be some raw emotions. These things take a village and that means for your loved and yourself.

You and your love one will be a whole lot better off if you're in a safe place. There's nothing more wise than making that a number one priority. I would bring it up with your partner and the team. The "nucular family" and similar modern dynamics put too much pressure on relationships. Neither of you has to be everything to each other, that's often a big part of how these stresses start off in the first place, you know?

If, you're immediately concerned for your safety, I would recommend 1800 RESPECT as port of call. They offer very informed crisis advice.

I'd advise getting your loved one the right recovery support. I can think of a few resources but it would be easier knowing a bit more about the diagnostic complexities and what approaches are more appealing, to everyone involved. The short answer is, a plan to say "yes" to.

Re: Experiences with loved one coming home from hospital

Hi @ferngully 

These are all such important questions. I can't stress enough what a hard decision it must have been for you to take your loved one to hospital. 

As I can tell you are feeling a lot of complex feelings about the experience, I'm sure your loved one has a lot of mixed feelings as well. From my experience of being hospitilised, they may be angry. They may be grateful. They may be a mixture of both and a whole lot in between. 

I find it is important to remember what we can control. And it is unlikely you can control how your loved one will feel towards you. But you can look after yourself so that you are able to support them in a way that is safe and meaningful for both you. 

All the best, 
- perwinklepixie  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance