Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

ckpineapple
Casual Contributor

Caring for an older parent with Borderline Personality Disorder - all while I've just been diagnosed with Autism

Hi.

I'm new here - only just discovered this forum.  I always assumed that, since my mother is not actually living with me, I didn't quality for any support.

My mother's official diagnosis is Bipolar Disorder, but since my father died a couple of years ago her behaviour changed significantly.  A psychologist I spoke to at the time said the way I spoke about her made it sound like BPD.  Of course, he's never met her so it might be completely off-base.  But what I've read about BPD made an awful lot of sense of her behaviour.  

She doesn't live with me, but she lives nearby.  We live in a lovely area where lots of people help her out, and she's on an aged care package.  But she's getting more frail and genuinely needs help with some things.  But I think she also gets emotional relief from having people rush around and make a fuss of her.  So, while I don't think she actually makes up any of her needs, I'm pretty sure she exaggerates them sometimes.  And others she gets in a panic about things that are, objectively not urgent.  But either way, the phone calls and demands that I rush over and help keep coming.

Everyone I've talked to about this says to make clear boundaries.  So we've organised that she rings me every second day (or I ring her, but I never get the chance - she's always rung first), and once a fortnight I come over and deal with anything she needs dealt with.  But while she says having that structure is helpful, she's constantly pushing those boundaries - she tells me this will always happen as she finds boundaries themselves a threat.  She knows all the buttons to push to guilt trip me.  And, being autistic myself, I find it very difficult to know if I'm being unreasonable or not.  But if I don't enforce some boundaries my own mental health suffers - badly.  It feels like we have directly opposing needs and I'm really struggling to manage the situation.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Caring for an older parent with Borderline Personality Disorder - all while I've just been diagnosed with Autism

Welcome @ckpineapple 🙂 

We only just had a conversation about BPD last night. You can read through the discussion here:

Topic Tuesday// Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week 2022: 'See The Person'// Tues 27th Se... 

You may be also interested in:

Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script 

Topic Tuesday // Supporting loved ones living with BPD // Tuesday 25th January, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT 

Bipolar is often mixed with BPD. Despite both having similar representations, the treatments are vastly different.

Of course you quality for support! Caring for a loved one ultimately affects your life. It is important you get the support you need.

I'll tag @BPDSurvivor who may be able to offer their insights into what is happening for you.

Do you have any BPD-specific questions?

Re: Caring for an older parent with Borderline Personality Disorder - all while I've just been diagnosed with Autism

Thanks very much @tyme  I've had a look through those links and it was quite helpful.  I'd read a bit about BPD, but it was all from family members' perspective and a lot of it was quite negative - it was really good to see some of the comments from the inside to give me a better understanding.  And the idea about developing boundaries together (which in hindsight should have been obvious) seems like a good one to try.

At the moment Mum's really struggling with anxiety.  She's just decided she shouldn't be driving anymore which is a real challenge for her.  She's also doing that constant "rescue me" thing she does under stress which I'm worried is starting to drive away her friends and support network.  

I find it difficult to know how to support her.  But I guess my only real BPD question at the moment (which may not be answerable here) is, do I talk to her about BPD?  I don't know if she's even heard of it, and I may be totally off-base with this.  I also read in the blogs that a lot of psychologists won't work with BPD - and we live in a small regional town so, if the psych that comes here won't work with her we're a bit screwed.

Thanks.

Hey @ckpineapple ,

It's hard to answer whether you should tell her about BPD. 

Knowing a potential diagnosis might be quite stressful for some (esp the elderly), however, it may also be liberating (to know what they are experiencing is a real thing).

You know your mum best. Is she well enough to take in the potential stress of having a diagnosis?

Another approach is that you tell her, "I have 'heard' or read about people who go through .... They have said that....helps. Do you think this would help you?"

I think the key thing is boundary-setting. As you said, the last thing you want is to see her lose her friends and push people away by being too 'needy'. I think having an awareness of this might be helpful for her. That is, for her to know that her co-dependency can be quite draining on people.

Worth a try?

Looking forward to hearing how you go,

tyme

@tyme Thanks very much - I'll give it a shot.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance