Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Kylara
New Contributor

Cancelled Holiday again

Hi

This is my first time posting.

I am a single parent and carer for my elderly parents. 

I just cancelled my holidays for the 3rd time. My daughter and I were meant to be heading to visit family in the NSW border zone (from Queensland). I have had a break in 18 months because of covid. Every school holidays there seems be an increase in covid cases and a new more virulent strain, so of course the notification goes out that we should not travel or risk not getting home or having to go into hotel quarantine.  Neither of which are ideal with a 6 year old and parents to get back to caring for.

The first 2 times I cancelled I felt relieved that  we would be staying away from the risk. This time I just feel depressed and angry that this keeps happening and that I really need a break and my 6 year old is just as upset that we can't go to see poppy and nonna again.

The family we visit in NSW are great for looking after me and making sure I relax and recharge.  It's so hard when you can't get away and get a proper recharge. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cancelled Holiday again

Hi @Kylara 

I feel the same as you.  I am a single mum too and caring for my parents who has alzheimer and dementia.  My sister is in Sydney while we live in Darwin.  

Neither of us can come to visit each other and I really need a break from the parents.  Its been really tough as I had to set up all their services and caring for my baby.  They came to Darwin to help me with my new born but after a couple of months we realise that there was something wrong with Dad and tested him with the result of front lobe vascular dementia.  Mum's diagnosis was later as she didnt show the symptoms (maybe I wanted to ignore it) she is now diagnosed with Lewy body alzheimers.

They are showing signs of deteriorations and I need help to deal with them. 

Weighing the outcomes with this  COVID thing I think it is best we stay at home where we are safe and ensure our families stay unaffected.  It will be lovely to have a break but it is what it is.. and we should think that this will be over when we all stay safe and follow what is required.

Stay safe and hope you can get further assistance where you are.

Hi @Kylara ,

Welcome to the forums! I guess many are in the same boat. I've had 8 cancelled trips now. I haven't seen my parents in 2 years!

As a Melbournian, I was in lockdown for at least 6 months, had 8pm curfews, couldn't move beyond 5kms of our residence...

I know this is not ideal, but I just want you to know that we are here for you. Please continue to reach out.

BPDSurvivor

Hi @BPDSurvivor 

Love your response to this post

shows so much kindness and thoughts that could only come from a sincere and lovely beautiful Person that you obviously are 👍

Thanks ...... from  Clawde 👍

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance