Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Appleblossom
Community Elder

Music and Emotional Intelligence

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Music and Emotional Intelligence

Fascinating link @Appleblossom. Thank you. Howvya holding up? Missed you lately (laying low). I haven't played piano for a while now. Somehow music (real music) opens me up, opens the floodgate, which I work so hard at containing g. Do you know what i mean? I get the same with prayer a lot and sometimes going to church. Perhaps the 'release' is a healing but who knows? None the less, all musicians I know seem to be deep thinkers, and passionate, a little touchy but have that spark within nothing else brings.
Maybe a bit off track from EI but just got me thinking. Thanks xox

hello @Appleblossom @Former-Member

I have turned up the music, danced and sobbed my heart out after sensing a feeling of cleansing.

The few times I went to church in the last 40 years I cried the whole way through the sessions.

This stopped me from going back.

I was talking to someone yesterday about how I have thought about going to my local church now for some time. He is a member and offered to go with me. I explained that I would prefer to go on my own and sit at the back go as often as I wanted.

I do not want to be seen as a babbling mess. I dont want people rushing to assist me. This is holding me back from going.

I've only just noticed this thread @Appleblossom. It's a fascinating read and in my opinion there is a direct link between the making of music and emotional intelligence.

Over the 50+ years of teaching music I have found that many a student who arrives with a worried visage or a troubled mind will often leave their lesson in a more peaceful frame of mind particularly those in their teens. Such a confusing time of life.

In playing music with an instrument it does require not only a solid foundation for the instrument but also emotional intelligence to meaningfully translate those dots and lines in to soud that affects the emotional core of not only the player but also those within the audience.

It explains that amazing buzz that remains for hours after the performance has ended. 🎶💕

@Kurra I didn't know you were a music teacher. I'm learning the violin. I think my neighbours WISH I had a bit more emotional intelligence to translate the mechanics of playing into something beautiful. Smiley LOL I am super looking forward to getting to a stage where I can express my big feelings through my playing more. At the moment I think I'd be described as an "advanced beginner." I super love playing. It definitely makes me feel super calm. What instrument do you play?

Hi @Phoenix_Rising

I haven't played the violin for many years now bu I found it an excellent instrument for expressing big feelings. Just with way you use the bow it is possible to play a very angry harsh sound. On the same note it's also possible to play a calming and peaceful sound.

I'm fully qualified in flute and also tecorder Phoenix _Rising. The violin I stopped playing nearly 30 years ago. I just couldn't keep more than 2 instruments at a professional standard.

I play mostly jazz now but worked with orchestras until 10 years ago mostly for operas. 🎶🎻

That's very cool @Kurra. Did you learn the violin as a child? I have been surprised at how unusual it is to be learning as an adult. I am learning the suzuki method and I've attended a workshop and also the graduation recital at the Sydney Opera House. At the Opera House there were four of us adults playing in a sea of about 300 kids and at the workshop it was just me and one other adult. I was super self conscious, as were the other adults. However, the kids really didn't care and the teachers were all very supportive. I'm hoping to graduate from Suzuki book 3 this year. I think they classify books 1-3 as a "beginner" so once I hit book 4 I will be able to think of myself as an "intermediate" player. Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance