Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Useful resources

Tylie
Casual Contributor

I dont understand the sectioned process

My husband admitted himself to a mental health ward and was sectioned. I don't understand the process, and no one tells me anything. He's is an assessment area where full restrictions are in place, yet they told him on admission he would be placed in a less restrictive ward because he came to them.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I dont understand the sectioned process

Hi @Tylie ,

Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like a difficult time for you right now. I can see how it could be so confusing when people do not tell you anything.

If your husband has been sectioned, it means he needs an extra level of care right now. Hence, this may be why he is in the acute section of the ward - also, because it is Sunday, not many drs are on duty.

Once he is seen M-F, they will assess his acuity. Is it is deemed he can move to the 'other' side, they will definitely allow it. 

Rest assured, it doesn't mean he will stay in the more secure section.

It may be scary for you right now, but know you are not alone. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. You can tag me in by typing "@" in front of my username then pick my name from the dropdown e.g. @tyme 

@tyme, he went in 6 days ago, he was meant to do a trial in the other area on Friday but they cancelled it. He swears like a trooper and the RN on duty took it the wrong way. What is a community order?

Through his admission process they mainly wanted to hear from me, then asked him questions, but not one healthcare worker has said to me are you ok. I am very aware that this is not about me, but we have dealt with his mental health alone for 14 years, When I described events, some doctors nearly feel of their chairs. It was horrible having to 'dob' on my husband, but he decided to go to hospital for me, because I was not coping. He told me not to hold back, but I was still weary because I was concerned about mandatory reporting, and I don't want him going back to jail. His past is why he has an illness, his criminal history is related to his illness, and for the last 14 years our life was shaped by his illness. 

Well, I'm selfishly not ok, I miss him and feel a terrible guilt that he is where he is for me. The medication they have him on makes him dopey, and forgetful. I am allowed to visit everyday for 1 hour and only see little bits of who he is. 

I also don't understand the lies from healthcare workers, they stated on several occasions it would only be for 3 days, that he would be allowed to smoke which calms him, that he could have his phone and none of it is true, hence why he got a little upset when they did the opposite. 

I guess these are things that you can tell the treating team next time when you get a chance @Tylie . Also, practitioners are quite aware of the effect of smoking on patients. Often, they do ask on admission whether someone is a smoker or not. 

I'm so sorry the communication has been so poor for you. It sounds like the treating team do not feel it is 'safe' for staff or other patients to have him on the other side. 

Why I'm saying this is because I've been down that path. I've been on the acute care side - for days on end. I think I've only ever been on the less acute side once (for a few days). Otherwise, my entire time was spent in acute care. I know it's not nice. I know it's not pleasant. And I can hear you miss him dearly.

With everything you have 'dobbed' about your husband, it sounds like they have used that to make a judgement that it is safer he stays in acute care.

Whatever it is, I just really hope he gets the care he deserves. Perhaps a medication review also to determine the best medication for him to take at this time. It sounds like the current medication is not the best for him.

At the same time, please look after yourself. You may also be interested in his carer support line https://arafmi.com.au/ You can contact them 24/7.

As for a community order, if you are talking about a community treatment order, it means he can go home, but every week/fortnight/month he must go to the outpatient clinic (usually for depot or medication or something like that). If he doesn't go, then there's the risk of having to go back into the ward.

Hope this clears a few things up. Please know you are not alone.

Thank you, we have been together 14 years and never been on medication for this. I knew he had depression, and in his files I did read he was suspected to be a narcissistic sociopath, but he hid the paranoid schizophrenia diagnosis in 2001. He became a ward of the state aged 4, spent his life (28years) in and out of institutions until he met me 14 years ago and no crime since. Maybe he's in the acute area because of his criminal history.

He drives road trains and can be away for weeks so I am not sure how a community treatment order will work.

Thank you for the information and advice.

Hi @Tylie i was wandering if u could ask the team if they have peer workers in the hospital....they are people with lived experience who hage also been in the mebtal health system as patients.

They are good advocates. My experience is to not vent or let on every detail to the hospital teams as they can be judgemental. You can also ask to see ur husband's records which would show you why they made the choices they did re his care and what the team are writing about him.

Its ok that ur husband is in the hospital and a common thing for many of us with mh struggles to be sectioned. But i do understand why you wouldnt want to tell them every single thing and u dont have to.

@Tylie I have been a state ward and lived with a few in different capacities. I have heard all the language possible under the southern sun. It is a difficult history to process and my heart goes out to both of you.  Some people can be accepting of words as just words and letting off steam.

It sounds as if he was prepared to give the Mental health system a go, which is why he suggested you be open about it.  Sounds as if he realises you have coped with a lot.  That is a good thing and not sociopathic. I am not sure about all the circumstances and know it is hard once a criminal history is 'on the books'.

Sadly I have seen my parents, siblings and son sectioned.  It is horrible.  I  often wish they had done it to me.  I am wary about being unthinkingly supportive of the system as it is.  Do your due diligence and maybe get some counselling yourself if you have experienced too many over the top things with him. So you can put it in perspective and make the best decisions.  It sounds as if mostly you have a decent relationship. That is always worthwhile.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance