Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What can you do when a loved one doesn't want help? // Tues 22 Oct, 7pm AEDT

I think a cuppa can solve the problems of the world!!! --- ohhh yes @Daphne  everyday xx

Re: Topic Tuesday // What can you do when a loved one doesn't want help? // Tues 22 Oct, 7pm AEDT

I like the idea of being in nature and animals too - that always helps me feel connected with myself!

Unfortunately its that time of the night where we have to wrap up! It has been such a wonderful night. So grateful to everyone for their openness and sharing of support, advice and strategies. A HUGE thank you to @Daphne  for sharing her knowledge and insight tonight with us all - it was so meaningful and valuable. 

I did a little collection of some of the toolbox we put together tonight for you all to have here and be reminded of.

While we do close this thread/event tomorrow morning - you are welcome to continue the discussion and support in this thread here: Helping a loved one who doesn't want help 

Thanks all and take care 🧡

TOOLBOX for useful things to help support ourselves and loved ones (sorry if I missed some!) :

• Not responding with a sense of urgency
  • Changing the ways you do respond
  • Enlisting the support of others
  • Acknowledging that sometimes all you can do is listen and let them know you are there
  • Before you go to bed write down 3 things that you are going to achieve the next day that are responsive to your needs.
  • Turning your phone off and not being available to anyone for periods of time
  • Doing things that are fun and make you laugh
  • take time out for myself even for a few minutes
  • go for a scenic drive
  • listen to music
  • exercise
  • watch a movie
  • read a book
  • colouring in
  • take a step back when it gets tough
  • acknowledging that you can’t 'fix' them, only the person going through it can work on their mental health is a big one. It’s hard but important. 
  • sometimes asking the person what they need in a specific way helps.
  • Also a constant reminder that you are their if they need anything and that they are loved. 
  • being there for them
  • even doing our own self care in the midst of our loved ones
  • having morning tea with them or just dropping in each day to say hello or ringing them up
  • Breathing meditation (incorporating Mindfulness) 

so true @Fracturedlight but giving to others can be so helpful. Often when responding to others we are responding to a need in ourselves.

Thank-you everyone for your lovely insights and for having me.

thank you soo much @Daphne Smiley Very Happy

hope to see you around sometimes

Thanks everyone ❤️

@Daphne @Shaz51 @Lauz @Former-Member @Teej 

so new to this - l couldn’t find everyone to tag but thank you

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance