Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Unkindness with labels. Ditching the diagnosis?

I've had a diagnosis of schizophrenia for 10 years, but generally hide it pretty well. I've never super identified with it, and most people assume I'm just a bit weird sometimes.

I suppose I'm the opposite of you - I've not really acknowledged my diagnosis with most people in my life, but have had to recently because of a med change that messed me around a little. While the people who know are lovely and understanding, I do feel like putting it out into the world has made it more 'real' and so probably made me feel worse. 

Just my thoughts - I definitely see benefits of not acknowledging it for myself internally, but I don't usually have people asking questions!

When I first received a schizophrenia diagnosis (due the onset of a nightmare of hearing frightening voices 24/7 and ending up in mental hospital) about 5 years ago, it was a shock to me. I told quite a few people around me; family, friends, my employer.

• But these days, I'm not so sure about identifying with this label, given the stigma and level of community misunderstanding that goes with it. I prefer to try to forget that I ever had such a diagnosis. Unfortunately, I'm still hearing pretty horrible voices and I don't like taking antipsychotics. But given a lot of support I've received, I'm much happier and coping pretty well. I'm almost the same old me before this ever happened in spite of symptoms persisting.

Hey @Tranquillity ,

I'm hearing you.

There can be so much stigma attached to a diagnosis.

I guess whether you 'ditch' the diagnosis or not is completely up to you.

For me, there are situations where I ditch my diagnosis e.g. work; while there are other times I share my diagnosis e.g. in advocacy work and when I'm seeking particular treatments.

If you 'ditch' it, it doesn't mean the symptoms are wiped away. So I guess it sounds like it's more 'WHEN' you share and when. you ditch - to your benefit.

I'm not sure if what I'm saying is making sense.

Whatever you decide, know that you are not alone 🙂

Hi @tyme, thank you for your response. What you have said is very reasonable. Know who your audience is and use discretion.

Yes! I like the way you framed it.. know your audience and use discretion... that's what I've learnt anyway. @Tranquillity 

I hope it makes it easier for you this way. 

But I totally here and agree there is so much stigma attached to labels. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance