Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

TW - SUICIDE

I care for my sister who has attempted to commit suicide twice and made a number of plans that she has admitted to part way through. Her method is medication so we all now have out medications in safes. Hers are in mine and I give her, her meds. She started stashing her night meds so Dad now does her night meds to make sure she takes them all.

We have had a few fights based on medications. When I found out about the stash I got pretty shitty. That was like a week ago. Then today she found an old script for pain meds so she went and got it filled. Then it was a bit of a thing to get the meds from her. Her thing is she is being honest about it, but mine is that it doesnt matter, the follow through does. Stop doing stupid shit. She wanted to have her night meds direct, she would take them later, not to Dad. This is like a week, maybe less than her stash. Then it was can I hold onto the Webster pack. That was a firm no.

I told her that when her Doctor or Suicide Prevention person say its ok for her to have her meds then Ill give them to her.

I dont know if I got it right, I dont know if I am getting any of it right. I didnt want the responcibility but my Dad dumped it on me. Ive not had suicude prevention training. I dont know how to handle someone who seems desperate to end their life. Having the responcibility of preventing that, managing her medications and then having to deal with all my own shit. I struggle with SI, MH issues galore, Im in severe chronic pain and other health issues. I got a heap of my own issues, enough for me to deal with and then some and then I have my sisters stuff as well.

She doesnt seem to get how much stress she is putting me under, that Im not coping and I need help. I need her to stop fighting me and do as she has been told by her team, not me.
1 REPLY 1
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: TW - SUICIDE

Hi @ClockFace 

I am not qualified to say, but reading your assistance, appears to me you are doing the right thing or best you can.

When we help others, they do not all understand our support or stress supporting them.

That is why many give up helping others.

We need people like you.

We have to help while we can.

Your sister may never realise your help, but l hope you help as long as you can.

I hope her Doctor gets more involved.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance