Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Felicity73
Contributor

Struggles coping with Trauma and the Aftermath.

Hello. I've been trying to deal with a lot recently. School's just been over the top of me, and I haven't had two seconds to myself. My father was always a short-tempered and angry man, and it's worse now. I'm getting more flashbacks than ever, and yet when I look back and think about it, it feels stupid to me. I just feel so weak for being traumatised by it all, and I just can't accept that I am not ok because of what happened. I've fallen down a long depressive spiral, and I am just getting worse and worse. My head's just been so chaotic, and I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I keep feeling like my trauma is just stupid or miniscule, because I've heard about what other people have been through, and then I look at myself and think 'I don't deserve to feel scared or hurt, because they have been through so much more'. Everything is just getting so dark, and I don't know what to do. I've tried to seek help, but I'm currently stuck and unable to see a psychologist, so this is all I've got. I'm sorry for bothering you all with my problems, I'm sure you have plenty of your own, but I guess I just wanted to feel ok for the first time in a long time.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Struggles coping with Trauma and the Aftermath.

Hi @Felicity73 

Life is sounding so tough for you right now. It seems like its been tricky getting access to a psychologist. You're not bothering anyone with your problems - this space is for people to share what they are going through and seek support. We are here to listen and sit with you Smiley Happy

I just don't want to hurt other people or trigger people because of my issues, cause I know what getting triggered feels like and I really don't want anything bad to happen to anyone else because of me. I just want to talk to someone and get it out of my head, but I don't want anyone else to suffer just so I can feel ok.

Sounds really tough @Felicity73. sometimes it can take some time to get a response or support from other members but great that you have identified that you just want to talk to someone. While you wait for a reply it might be helpful to call the SANE Helpline on 1800 18 7263

I'm not sure about the Helpline. I kinda feel like this isn't important. I just wanna get some things off my chest, but I keep feeling like my trauma isn't valid or that I'm just over-reacting or that it is all made up, and I don't know how to escape. I just need to talk to someone and set some things straight with myself and my system, without hurting anyone else.

Hey @Felicity73  - just thought I'd jump in and let you know that the Helpline is really good for exactly what you've described: getting things off your chest, expressing yourself to someone who can provide space for you to explore your thoughts and feelings without judgement, and even just having someone to talk to who is otherwise completely uninvolved with your life. Many people call the Helpline for all sorts of reasons, and these are some of the most common. Smiley Happy 

Hi @Felicity73,

I hope you aren't feeling invisible and unimportant because people do care. Smiley Happy I have met quite a number of those and they helped me through my darkest days. Don't be too worried about how others would respond through those dramas, we all have walked through those paths.

Please understand what triggers one, may not affect another at all. What seems minuscle to one maybe big to another and vice versa. So if there is anything bothering you, just write things down for yourself, for this forum, for people around you, or the helpline, GP or psychologists. It helps give you clarity of your issue and allow others to undertand what you are going through. Just let your intuition guide you which would be the best people to talk to. Sometimes you have to go through quite a few before meeting the right ones. 

I hope you will gradually get out of your shell, we have a loving community here. Heart

I’m glad that you all care, I just want to figure things out, and talking is really helping. Also, I’m not sure if I’ll be able to call the helpline currently, because I don’t really live in a ‘safe’ environment, so I’m somewhat scared to let my parents know that I am struggling or needing help. I’ll just stick with talking here.

So, I guess, where do I start? What do I begin with? I don’t know what to talk about first. I really want to be able to get it all out, but I also don’t want to waste people’s time. I don’t know...

Hi @Felicity73,

Apologies for not replying, it's helpful to add @ and username so others will receive it in their notifications. I'm new to this platform too, so still trying to figure my way around here.

Just talk about anything that comes to your mind be it good or bad, it's a conversation to help us understand each other better, not a burden.  Smiley Happy

@Felicity73 never feel that your problems and worries are not important... because they are..

A problem shared is a proble halved they say...

please feel free to talk to us all here.... As i have said to a number of people.. the reply, help and support may not always come instantaneously... but it does come... every one is important.. there are lots of fabulous people here to help you.. and there is very likely someone who has been through what you are cirrently experiencing and has come out the other side who may be able to gove you somme great advice and coping strategies...

Big hugs to you little one

we are here for you HeartHeart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance