Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lostandalone
Senior Contributor

Resigning from a job as it is detrimental to your mental health

Hello one and all

has anyone here ever resigned from their job because the environment was so toxic it affected their mental health too much????

i have been going thru absolute hell at work lately.  Everything I do is scrutinized and I am currently suspended for apparent misconduct .... I can see that no matter what I do or say they are looking to fire me... so I just want to wave the white flag and resign 

just after any advice anyone can give me please 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Resigning from a job as it is detrimental to your mental health

@Lostandalone  Hey Lostandalone is there anyway you can hang out until you get another job? That would be ideal as it is always easier to find a job while you are working. I am going to tag @Flying_Hams  into the conversation as he may have a different perspective on the whole situation. Whatever happens though no job is worth getting sick over. Take care. greenpeaxxx

Hi @Lostandalone

Atm I am in a job I can't stand. Similar to yourself, I am also finding the environment toxic and problematic for my health.

I hate to say this but i have to - sometimes people enjoy the power trip over us. They use workplaces to enact power over people. Its quite sad.

I am wondering if this is the source of the problem in your workplace

I don't want to suggest that you are. But i also don't know enough of the situation.

If you have something else to fall back on then yes it may be best to leave your current role. However, if not then you need to think about what the other options are available to you.

But I agree with @greenpea that no job is worth getting sick over.

Atm I am looking at my options in a similar tone to you. I can't stand being scrutinised to the extent that I am. Its stress inducing and unprofessional.

Keep us posted please. Let me know what you end up doing and by all means keep asking around there

Hello @Lostandalone I resigned from a job like that about 12 years ago as the environment was awful. I got to the stage where I was crying at work and dreading going in each day. Luckily I had a casual job as well that I could fall back on as I was able to get more hours and cover the shortfall. Quitting that job was the best thing I ever did but I wouldn't have quit if I didn't have my second job to fall back on. I hope things get better for you. 

Thank you @greenpea @Flying_Hams @Lilly6  for your replies

currently I do not have another job to fall straight into... but I have started applying for jobs

in a knee jerk reaction I also enrolled and started and online practice management and business study diploma 

my main concern is I will have to rely on my savings to get me by if I dh not find another job quickly... but for the sake of my health I really think there is no way I can go back there 

Understood @Lostandalone

Sounds like doing that diploma will definitely help you. I'm thinking of something similiar. IN fact this morning I was looking for other opportunities just after I made that post earlier today.

I think it's very hard at times like these generally (re covid) but also while dealing with mental health stuff. The reality is though that at some point we have to do what we have to do to get by.

The ball is in your court hey. Same with me. I guess we just have to keep on keeping on.

I would probably also talk to a psych or gp about what you've described here.

@Lostandalone your mental health is more important than any job so do what is right for you. Good luck with you job search and online course. 

Hi there.

im so sorry to hear you are going through this. I share your pain and frustration.

ive been experiencing mental stress at work for some time now too.  I've found it helps to talk to an independent person, who can give an unbiased view of situations. Bottom line, life is too short and if it's not a happy environment to be in, for you, then move on.

If you do end up quitting, time it to not be a financial issue, and add to the worries.

Hope everything goes ok for you. 

I resigned from a job I loved because it was too much mental pressure. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do and I keep telling myself I can go back next year. Some days I still cry at how much I miss it because it was my dream job. Unfortuantely I've forced myself into something else that is less pressure but still hard to manage with how unwell I've become, and I really regret that I have to do it but at the end of the day we need money to survive. Work can be really hard, but I was going to be fired and not allowed back if I didn't take the year off myself. Leaving isn't easy but sometimes it has to be done. All the best ❤️ 

@Lostandalone @Greenpea @Lilly6 

I feel your pain that you are going through working in a toxic environment. It's good that you are looking at study and other jobs.

If you can write your concerns to the top boss or someone that is more independent to tell your story it may help. Otherwise I agree with the others, no job is worth your mental health.

Its difficult if you resign from your job and rely on job seeker to pay bills. Hopefully you get some job interviews soon so you can transfer from out of a toxic work environment into a more supportive one.

@Flying_Hams has suggested a good course of action, please see a mental health professional like a psychologist to talk about your issues. It will help you process what you have been going through and may help strategise on how to handle stressful situations.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance