Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Clod
Casual Contributor

Partner has Paranoid schzophrenia

Hi this is my first post sorry it will be long. I have been married t my husband for 25 years. When we met I was aware he had a drinking problem he was aware too and wanted to stop. He also told me about his past drug use which was mainly speed. I was 25 and he was 28. the first couple of years he was on and off with drinking he stopped after our second daughter was born about 20 years ago. After he stopped drinking his mental health declined and he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and began medication  Things were better, but he was still a fairly dark person with conspiracy theories and angry at the world. He would barely socialize, and we would fight often about house duties and him spending time with the kids. I did the lion's share of everything because he found the medication so debilitating. The first time he left me I found out he had started tapering off the meds. He ended up homicidal and suicidal. He was admitted to hospital and his medicine was increased. Which helped him. We have been stable for 10 years with difficulties arising as in a normal marriage and he has been very functional. A couple of months ago he made an accusation that I was acting too familiar with my daughter long term boyfriend. An alarm went off in me, but we worked through it. Around the same time, he wanted to start tapering off the meds again because he had been so stable.  2 weeks later out of the blue he blew up at me for sitting on our bed wearing only a t shirt whilst there is another man in the house my daughter's boyfriend suggested I wanted the attention. He said either the boyfriend goes, or he goes, and I couldn't break my daughter's heart, so he left. He came back and then left again after another fight. My question is does this sound like its caused by the medication drop. He is still functioning in all other areas, nice to our kids. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Partner has Paranoid schzophrenia

Hi @Clod 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story with us here. It sounds like there is definitely cause for concern given your husband's history. I would assume that the medication drop could cause agitation. Especially if it has become this way in the past. But I'd encourage you to ask him if has actually started tapering off if you feel comfortable. If he says yes, and has done so without consultation with his doctor/psychiatrist I think it's important that they are informed.

I know you haven't said you feel unsafe around him but the fact you said he 'blew up' and also that he has a history of feeling homicidal, I really want to stress that if you feel unsafe at any time to call 000. If it's not an emergency but you still don't feel like things are quite 'right' please call 1800 737 732 https://www.1800respect.org.au/ 

Please take care

Hanami

he had tapered off before he the incident where he got angry at me and left. He wasn't physical he was angry but not in a threatening way just very angry at me specifically and nice to everyone else

Hi @Clod,

Welcome to the Forums. My name is FloatingFeather and I am one of the peer support workers at SANE. It is nice to have you with us. 

It sounds like you, your husband and your family have had some challenging times over the last 25 years. It also sounds like your husband has overcome some adversity in his life which I would imagine would have been pretty hard. It also sounds like he had a great support and team mate in you. 

Whilst I would imagine changing / decreasing medication for paranoid schizophrenia may have the ability to cause changes in someone's behaviours and moods that is just my guess. I think the best person to ask is your husband's psychiatrist or whoever prescribes your husband this medication. 

It sounds like you have been through a lot lately. If you would like to talk to someone the SANE Support Centre is available to support you from 10am-10pm Monday to Friday. We have counsellors and peer support workers available to support you via phone (1800 187 263) or webchat free of charge.

I wish you all the best. 

Warm wishes,

FloatingFeather

PS. Just a couple of tips to help you get started on the Forums:

Tip 1 - if you want to directly chat with someone on the Forums use the @ symbol and then start typing their name directly after it. A dropdown box should appear, and you then select their name. This ensures that they are notified of any posts you mention them in.

Tip 2 – the most recent posts are the latest page numbers.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance