Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Smc
Senior Contributor

Re: D.I.D....

@Shaz51 @Former-Member @Determined @Faith-and-Hope ... Had better update... didn't realise how long I'd gone since last post.

Older Daughter is still in the hospital. Hubby was able to take a few changes of clothes and other essentials down for her last Friday, and then he spent the night at his parents' house before going to an interest group he's in on Saturday. She got another visit on his way home.

We were suspecting that they were keeping her in for longer than medical grounds required to keep her safe while they try to find a psych unit place. That was confirmed when we both took the train down to visit on Thursday, and were able to wait around to see one of the doctors.

She's been keeping the staff busy enough. Smiley Frustrated For several days... maybe a week? they had someone with her for 24 hour watch due to concers that she would re-injure herself, and her general psychiatric instability. She's still confined to the ward, but if she wants to go to the cafe or gift shop, she can if a staff member accompanies her.

She's been having "waking nightmares" that what she calls "the shadow people" are telling her they're coming out to our house to harm us. We keep reassuring her that we're safe, and that these people don't exist outside of her own mind... I don't think she believes us. She rang one evening in tears to warn us, and again the next morning to make sure we had been safe. And last night we had a call from her in a little girl persona, scared, crying and not knowing why she was in hospital. There's way too many mental disconnects in her mind, so rather than telling her, i said that the memories were there, she needed to try to remember. The "shadow people" came up in that conversation too.

One of the nurses spoke to us, asking what she should do, and what we do... mostly we quietly ignore the child-like presentation and talk with her normally, while keeping an eye on her to make sure nothing inappropriate or harmful happens. Sometimes telling her that we need the "real her" back works, but I wasn't sure whether to do that, or let the staff see for themselves what was happening. We're less convinced over time that it's actual DID, and thinking it's a more generalised lack of mental boundaries between real and not-real.

They're still working on trying to get a MHU placement for her. Their public unit is full, so they're in negotiation with a private unit to try to get a spot. She's a bit beyond the usual risk profile for private, so it's not straightforward. Am impressed that they've managed to wrangle a bed in a medical hospital for this long. Staff at our local one have said that they aren't allowed to give beds to MI patients without a physical-medical reason. We've pointed out to the doctor there that there needs to be a fallback plan if she escalates to the point where a private clinic has to discharge her.

Other news... seems Mum's surgical admission is going to be public...whew... We've been getting a few little reminders lately of the "echo chamber" of being a MI carer, and that the general public is likely to have some fairly vague or incorrect assumptions about MI. That's partially been happening because I'm getting tired of beating around the bush about it, and am being a bit more direct about what's up. We're tired... saw our psych on Tuesday, she was saying that she thought we'd reached the end of our endurance levels sometime last year, but then somehow we kept going. That's...good.. maybe???

Hugs @Smc ,.... 💜💕

Listening along here.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smc 

I found it so much easier when I was more direct and stopped beating around the bush - it actually felt like a burden had lifted.  

@Smc  🙏

Re: Dissociative Identity Disorder Carers?

thinking of you @Smc 🧡💚💛💛💚🧡

Older Daughter is coming home tomorrow. We'll be heading out tomorrow morning to pick her up, and will get to the hospital about lunchtime.

The hospital has kept her in for as long as they could, well beyond what her medical needs required, but despite all their efforts they haven't managed to find a MHU placement for her, either public or private.

This means we're back to wondering when the next SH event will be. If it doesn't happen the day she gets back, she might manage to hold off for a few days. 😞

This sounds so bleak, but based on what her pattern has been in the past, it's highly probable. Both Hubby and I are feeling totally flat, and dreading tomorrow's trip. She is never "safe" at home, and a few weeks of knowing she was too closely watched to do any damage has really underlined that fact.

@outlander @Determined @Former-Member @Faith-and-Hope @Shaz51 

💜 @Smc  ....

@Smc  sending ever so gentle thoughts your way 🙏.

hugs @Smc im glad the hospital did at least try to find placements for her. hopefully a spot will come up soon
thinking of you all Heart

Thinking of you and family @Smc  🙏 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance