Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Lillith88
Casual Contributor

Brother with psychosis - delusions & hallucinations spies out to get him, being microwaved & "voice to skull" of targeted individuals/gang-stalked

Hi Everyone! 

Late last year I brought my younger brother, 40 years old, to the hospital Emergency Department as he was suffering from delusions and hallucinations that spy agencies (e.g. CIA, KGB, ASIO, etc.) are out to get him, behaviorial experiments are being conducted on him, and that his housemates are all spies. He says that his brain and internal organs are being microwaved, and "voice to skull" technology is being used because he’s a "targetted individual" and being "gang-stalked".  He even sent me numerous YouTube videos and other internet links of other people experiencing the same thing.

He stayed in the psychiatric ward for a week or so and was diagnosed with psychosis, depression & anxiety.

He has refused to take the medication recommended by the hospital, and does not want to seek professional help, not even the GP.

He has since moved residence 3 times, struggled to find a job and once he has one, struggles to to keep it.  I’ve been financially supporting to pay his rent and groceries given his situation & the current economic/job conditions. This has placed a huge strain on my household finances and at times in my marriage.

My brother and I have no other family members who can help us as we’re immigrants to Australia, i.e. only me & my husband are helping my brother, we have no other siblings overseas, and our parents have since passed away.

NSW lockdown from August 2021 has exacerbated my brother’s mental health struggle and once again he is exhibiting symptoms of psychosis.

I’ve never dismissed or minimised his delusions or hallucinations, and on numerous occasions encouraged him to seek professional help, book an appointment &/or accompany him to the GP/counsellor/psychologist - he has refused. I’ve provided information & hotlines of credible & established organisations such as LifeLine, Beyond Blue, SANE, etc. in case he would like to connect with people that may be going through the same thing, etc. - he rubbished all of it.

He has gotten more angry with me since the lockdown, keeps accusing me that I don’t believe him, and once even asked if I was a spy & “one of them”.

Would there be anyone with lived experience such as my brother’s or a family/friend/carer who can share their experience and/or suggestions? What has helped in encouraging their loved one to get help for their mental health issue/struggle?

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Brother with psychosis - delusions & hallucinations spies out to get him, being microwaved & "voice to skull" of targeted indivi

@Lillith88 I have just been through this with my husband. Your brother is extremely unwell as you know he needs to be Triaged by the CAT TEAM for assessment and care. He will be on the list already and needs to go back for a longer stay in the psychiatric ward. I got to this point with my husband 12 days ago after 3 yrs of sheer emotional abuse escalated by COVID and a FB addiction and insomnia. I can honestly say it was the hardest but kindest thing I could do. My husband kept falling through all the mental health help gaps in the system until he himself realized he couldn't  go on.

My husband 66 yrs old is non compliant with his meds but will be under a community order as he is a danger to himself and the public.
It's horrible and heartbreaking but I had to make the call. Once I made the call things began to improve. Not just for him but I have support for me as well.... Baby steps and it will be a long time in recovery for him and myself but it is sometimes the only way. It is not your brother it is MI.

I hope you can find him like I am now trying to with my husband. all the best. 

Re: Brother with psychosis - delusions & hallucinations spies out to get him, being microwaved & "voice to skull" of targeted indivi

Hi, I am really sorry to hear about your difficult situation. My recommendation is that you check out this web site first LEAP Institute – Educating the public about anosognosia and if you want a quick preview of this guys (Xavier Amador) approach here is his Ted talk Xavier Amador Ted Talk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXxytf6kfPM). While the Ted talk is no substiture for doing the course, it is a start. An organisation I worked for a few years ago brought Xavier Amador out to Australia to talk and he was really really helpful to a number of families in a similar situation to yours. 

Hi Carlachris, thanks for sharing your experience, suggestions, and kind words. All the best too for your husband and also for you. 

Hi BillGye, thanks for sharing the link and helpful.  Very much appreciated!  I've viewed the TED Talk and definitely very helpful info.  Thanks once again.

Fantastic resource.

Hi @Lillith88 there seems to be wonderful support to start  with in your very well written and honest recap of your Brother,s problems which also has problems you guys are dealing with as well, there're is wonderful support here plus intelligence 's of answers to look through and way up good on you for understanding and taking the time to look after your family proud to know you, you have strength proud to know you in my little group from you Clawde 😷👍

I have been through all of this with my son. Please don't delay in calling the ambulance and having him assessed. He is in psychosis and requires medical assistance.  He most likely will need admission to the MHU.

Best of luck with it all. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance