Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

Being a sufferer and a carer too

Its an interesting and difficult position to be both a person experiencing mental health issues and being a carer for one.

I suffer from Bipolar 2 with psychotic features and I am caring for my sister who was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and subsequently changed to Adjustment Disorder. She is currently in a mental health facility after her second suicide attempt. She has been going from one hospital to another due to both mental and physical health issues for about 4 and 1/2 months. In that time she has managed about 5 days at home in which time she attempted suicide twice.

I started to be her carer a few weeks after her first admission to a hospital, basically Mum doesnt come out her room other than to go to hospital and my Dad doesnt get mental health at all so it was left to me. Of course you all understand what being a carer to a person in hospital means, but lots of conversations with doctors etc.

Im currently not doing well mentally but it had been like 10 days since I had seen her due to spinal procedure. The comment was made that she couldnt keep doing this, doing the crap of life. And all I had was to agree because I dont want to do this any more either. Bit of a difference she wants to try again, I dont want to try at all.

I dont know how to be there for a suicidal person when I can completely see their point?
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Being a sufferer and a carer too

While I dont care for someone who is suicidal, I am a carer who has her own mental health issues , diagnosed bipolar /ptsd  who has really hit the wall and there doesnt seem to be a solution ( well there is but I cant fix it alone).

Re: Being a sufferer and a carer too

hi @ClockFace

i can understand being a carer and also suffering mentally. i am someone who suffers long term suicidal idealation. for me i really had to find things in life that i could look forward to. i struggle at the best of times but i try and see a positive or engage in a positive activity that helps see why life is worth living or showing im making a positive impact on those or someone around me.

is there something you could engage in that would make you feel 'more alive' perhaps something like volunteer work, or doing random acts of kindness? finding others that you get along well with and can speak to not only about mental health but just life as a distraction. many of my friends arent overly aware of how severe my mental health issues are but sometimes i gravitate towards them and just pretend things are ok even for a little while and focus on seeing friends or something like that. watching a sunrise or sunset, watching a plant grow. i try and find something that brings my soul some peace among the chaos.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance