Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

pinklollipop15
Community Guide

Asking about a friend schizophrenia support

Hi

I know someone who is caring for a person with schizophrenia who needs 24 hour care. This person is at their wits end because they think there is no support for their son. I am wondering what support services there are in Victoria. I suggested the carers support line but the person said that her son must agree and he won't and she is the sole carer. Any advice appreciated. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Asking about a friend schizophrenia support

Try Early Psychosis Prevention and Intervention Centre (EPPIC) or try Orygen. Sane Australia speciality is schizophrenia so they should be the first try.

Hey @pinklollipop15 

Do you feel like the person is open to advice and change if you do find solutions for them?  I just want to make sure that you don't end up frustrated finding solutions for a person who is not open to changing the situation they find themselves in. 

Hello @pinklollipop15 

It's lovely that you are looking.ro help your friend. I echo @AussieRecharger in that check your friend wants help. It's exhausting trying.to help someone who's not ready for help.

Try https://www.mhvic.org.au/getting-help, good luck 🙏

Hi @Anastasia @AussieRecharger 

Hi and thank you both for your replies. Yes this did cross my mind. I will see if she talks about it again and if so will offer her the resources you have said. I appreciate your support. She definitely seems to be in a tough situation and she feels like noone will help or support her but also doesn't seem to trust anyone either - besides the fact that the person she is caring for does not want help. 

hello @pinklollipop15 

It's amazing that you are such a support for your friend, who is doing an amazing job of caring for her loved one who lives with schizophrenia.  You cannot underestimate the value of the support you offer by being a listening, non judgemental and empathic friend.

Perhaps, one of the supports you can offer your friend is to help them connect with this forum?  As a carer of a 17yo son with schizophrenia and OCD, this forum has given me a place I can visit where I am completely understood and I can talk about caring for my son knowing he will not be misunderstood/misjudged.  Having the forum has been a huge help to me, and in turn helped and aided me in my role.

All the best

Tinker

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance