Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Angie23
Casual Contributor

Alcoholic brother

Hi all. I'm new to this and am having a big problem with my brother, who is an alcoholic. He's been in rehab before, but is now drinking again. I have begged him to go back to rehab, but he won't. All of the stress of this gets puts on me and I'm tired of it. It's causing me to be very upset. I get nasty texts from him. I have recently told some of our family that he's drinking again, because I need support and copped more abuse for doing that. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Alcoholic brother

I've been looking quite deeply into Naltrexone. It's supposed to basically curb the enthusiasm for getting totally wasted, but you can physically still drink without any life threatening issues. I'm asking my GP tomorrow about it. It gets pretty good reviews though, happy to keep you posted!

Thank you

Hi @Angie23 

This sounds like and incredibly difficult situation for you. I can feel your frustration.

I'm sorry to hear that your family haven't been supportive. It sounds like all the stress has been put on your shoulders.

Sane's Support Services are there if you need to chat to someone 1:1 about everything going on.

Sending strength your way,

Rosie93

Thanks Rosie 

Helping people with AOD issues, sort of revolves around a stages of change theory. 

For example if some one is not interested in change, one doesn't need to try to help them and gets on with their own life, interests and live the best one can in this sad circumstance. If someone on the grog is thinking about change, maybe because something has happened, then one can  help them plan, contemplate, explore positive options pathways.  Say something really happens and the person wants to implement their change plan, one can support action,by offering to drive them to rehab for instance. Help and social support to get back on ones feet is so useful and appreciated, when someone is trying hard to stay sober or sticking with it. Then there is the help one can give to support some one from relapsing. For example, instead of  the person gets on here and talks to us, in this or other supportive environments instead of going to the bottle shop. 

Counselors know about these stages and much of their work is to encourage the person to move up through the each of the stages from, not caring about themselves, through working hard to solve problems to leave their problems behind, and for many growth to a point where they no longer have a problem with grog and move to a place in life where relapse becomes a distant memory.  

https://www.cbc.ca/fifth/m/episodes/2016-2017/the-pour-treating-alcoholics-with-wine

Now i couldn't get my then partner to listen to this and take it seriously but maybe you will have more success ..
Best of luck x

You need Al-Anon, It is a worldwide fellowship.

Put that in a search engine and it will take you to the website. It doesn't cost anything .. ever,

Somehow recovery for families is seen as unimportant. No resource without people with loved ones who are alcoholics can help. If your loved one got into recovery tomorrow you would still need to recover from the years of living with him.

Please go It has changed my life for the better and my sober alcoholic child and I have a much better relationship. I wish I knew about it many years ago when my father died from alcoholism.

take care,

nora

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance