Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Define_normal
Senior Contributor

Escaping the depression cycle

Hi all,

I've been really struggling lately and everything seems to have piled up over my head. But I realized in the last couple of days my depression is worse than what i thought. It beginning to affect my son and my relationship so I've decided I need to help myself get back to being me. 

So every morning I am going  to post on this thread what I need to do that day and hopefully by the time I go to bed I will have completed the list or at least most of it.

So even though it is the afternoon here is what I want to do to before I go to bed tonight,

1. Clean the kitchen

2. Make dinner (cereal is not dinner)

3. Actually eat dinner

4. Tidy up dinner mess 

5. Put bin out 

6. Shower, face routine

7. Go to bed before 10pm

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Escaping the depression cycle

Hi @Define_normal,

I like your username. I don't think we can ever define what is normal, we can only be ourselves. 

Whenever I don't feel ok, I would go to a local park or nature reserve and just lie down on the grass and soak up the warmth of the sun. It can go on for hours and I would just get lost in time, but it provides me with the relief I need so I would repeat again the very next day until it becomes part of my routine. I realised that if I stop this routine, my health issue will resurface.

I too am quite disorganised especially with this covid-19 situation which pretty much allows us to slow down. If I could I would prefer to just enjoy the sun all day while procrastinating on daily tasks on hand.

So I thought that it would be a good idea to have my list here as well, so there will be 2. Smiley Very Happy  

1. Try a new recipe everyday

2. Make funny art

3. Learn how to make funny animation

4. Run instead of just sunbathing in the park 

5. No more sleeping in 

6. No more voices/intrusive/unwanted thoughts for a whole day

7. No more fits/jerkings of body 

Hi @Define_normal 

What a great idea starting a list. Even if you get through only some of it you have accomplished a lot for the day. I find it is good to write a list, remembering not to be too hard on ourselves if we don't achieve everything on my list. Sometimes just getting through a day is enough.

@Lilaca your list looks good too.

You have both achieved a lot for one day.

My list for tomorrow is:

1. Have a shower and wash my hair

2. Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner

3. Write in my journal

4. Get dressed

5. Do something for myself that I enjoy

Will check in tomorrow to see how we all went.

Snowie 💕💕

Hi all,

Thank you so much @Lilaca and @Snowie.

It's always easier to do something when others do it to.

Last night I only completed a few of my things on the list. But actually making a proper dinner for my family is what I'm most proudest of. I made baked spag bog or as others might refer it to as a pasta bake.

My son has asked me to make a meal I haven't  done in a long time... cheesy chicken and bacon carbonara hope I can remember  how to make the pasta.

So my list for today is

1. Eat lunch

2. Clean the kitchen 

3. Clean the lounge 

4. Do washing 

5 . Make pasta dough

6. Go to shops for few necessities 

7. Make sure all my son's school stuff is ready (finally better and is going to school)

8. Make dinner

9. Eat dinner

10. Shower and face routine 

11. Work on studies instead of videogames if unable to sleep

@LilacaHearing you about caring for our own mental health and the deep spiritual and physical bodily level that includes.

@Snowie 

Love your list too.

A fella used to tease me about making little lists.  HIs loss.  I still make them but am kinder about what I achieve.

@Define_normalGlad you managed the important thing on your list about providing physical manifestation of love and care to your family.

If I always try and get everything done, I will eventually collapse under issues of what it is conventional to achieve rather than what I, or others, need ... and the issues around ... letting oneself go ...

Take Care

Apple

Smiley Happy

Glad you got through a few things on your list @Define_normal Any is better then none at all, even though we all have those days too!

Your list today seems impressive and well done for cooking tea last night. Cheesy chicken and bacon carbonara sounds extremely yummy. I know my kids would like that too.

@Lilaca how are you going?

@Appleblossom 💜💛💙

@Snowie , @Appleblossom , @Lilaca 15906570557803373854567585904285.jpg

This is my cheesy chicken and bacon carbonara with homemade pasta and homemade sauce its been my sons favorite since he was 3 

ohhh @Define_normal 

That certainly looks yummy 😁

@Define_normalWas a fave of my son too!

Smiley Happy

Love our boyz.

Heart

Hi all,

@Define_normal  Glad you get busy in the kitchen these days, I hope you and your family will enjoy more of dinner time too! Oh, I'm thinking of making spaghetti from sratch too, do share your recipe! I love cooking too. Smiley Wink

@Snowie How are you going with your list? I just realised I have been procrastinating due to anxiety of performance. But I'll keep the same list going, and hopefully I can achieve all by springtime. Smiley Mad

@Appleblossom I understand your issue. I can't achieve all those on the list anytime soon either, but I will take it one step at a time. Some things are easier, some are harder, but I believe in making the change, little by little, no matter how long it takes. Smiley Happy

Have a good night all! Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance