Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Dogs Rock 😆

images - 2020-02-17T085517.462.jpeg

Former-Member
Not applicable

86971361_3753914524681126_1316123153683972096_n.jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

images - 2020-02-18T080855.224.jpeg

@Former-Member hoping you can make it to tonights Topic Tuesday! Topic Tuesday //The pet effect: animals are good for our wellbeing! // Tues 18 Feb, 7pm AEDT Would love to have your great animal memes involved hehehe! 😊

While the below is a meme, I do have friends that came home to find half their couch half chewed up by their new retriever puppy so this made me giggle. Happy Tuesday to all coming through here. 

039b95cdd961a0e7a9b93c0ba5c983dc.jpg

Former-Member
Not applicable

Wondering how you got along at the vet @Former-Member .

I don't know how long it will last but our madam whippet (aka Missy Moo - thanks @Determined ) has had a few days of completing the circuit on her daily walk. Since we moved this has been somewhat hit and miss. She desperately wants to go out but the suburban sounds, other walkers, cyclists and dogs we meet on the local walking track can spook her (in contrast to the country lane she had all to herself). At worst we haven't made it past the neighbours driveway, often only going 50-100m. It seems to be that when both Mr Darcy & I accompany her we manage to walk further than if one of us takes her on our own.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yes @Former-Member ( and also @Corny @Maggie @Zoe7 @Shaz51 @Faith-and-Hope ) as you're aware, I took my little Holly dog to the vet yesterday.  Wanted to get her ears checked since she has become quite deaf very quickly these past couple of months.  Sadly there was no real fix ... there is no infection, no blockages, nothing to be seen in the external working of the ear. The vet said it could be some inner ear thing.  But because she is otherwise very healthy and happy with no temperature or discomfort ... its likely to be age related deafness.  He said he could do CT scans to check the middle ear, but the likelihood is that (if something is discovered) its not something they can do anything for anyhow. So little purpose in that, other than spending money. 

I had so hoped it might be something they could stick some drops in her ear and enable her to hear properly again. 😢💕  I guess I had gotten my hopes up a bit, only to have them dashed. Feeling really sad that I cannot help her.

But the good thing is that she is otherwise happy, healthy and very fit for an 11yo.  She's just very deaf.  I guess I need to invest in a loudspeaker, or a whistle since I'm not a great whistler myself.  And adapt ways to make things easier to communicate with her better.  Such a shame as she has a very good vocabulary, knowing the words and meanings to so many commands and items etc.  Now she cannot hear them.  And her hearing used to be so acute too.  She was a fabulous little guard dog.  Now she doesnt even hear the door bell.  So I suppose the roles are reversed now, in that I need to be alert for her.

Anyway the vet gave her a really good once over while there, and even gave her a nice nail manicure. She is a bit naughty getting her nails cut, and hubby has to hold her firmly while I trim.  But he hasnt wanted to hold her lately, so they were more like talons than nails.  So I asked the vet, and he was very happy to do them.

@Former-Member well done on managing to get your little whippet out and about where she can experience all the new sights and sounds of a more busy place to what she's been used to. Sounds like it needs to be a 3-way thing for a while as she gets used to things.  But thats probably a good thing anyway ... a great excuse for you, Mr Darcy and Missy Moo to get out and about together.  Exercise is great for all of us, and our dogs give us a bit of incentive to do just that.  Well done.

Yes @Lauz  I'm looking forward to tonights Topic Tuesday about Pets.  Will be there when I can get there in between dinner, meds, etc for hubby.  I expect you will be there too @Former-Member ?

Sherry 💕

Former-Member
Not applicable

Image result for deaf dog

@Determined @Former-Member @Lauz @Corny @Maggie

@Former-Member  💜💜🐶🐶

Former-Member
Not applicable

Dog sign language

images - 2020-02-18T160453.404.jpeg

Former-Member
Not applicable

Yep @Former-Member 

I've been using some of them for a little while already, as I noticed her becoming deafer these past couple of months.  For example ... Come, Stay, Sit.

Now working on ... Good, No, Dinner, Bed, Hello.  

But you have to get her attention first of course.  I have found a whistle today long buried in my cupboard.  Its quite shrill, and something she would previously have taken fright of.  Will slowly introduce her to it to see how she takes it.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance