Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Christmas Loungeroom

Aw @eth

Thanks for sharing - children can be down-right practical at times - how did your mother react to that

I am not sure if I would be so okay about all the live lambs heading for Christmas dinner like that - and yes - I eat meat grateful for the animals that turn grass into protein for me - but the image of the lambs being carried past in bags bleating - I am not sure how practical I would have been as a child - 

I know they are not baby lambs either but young sheep

I grew up in a semi-rural area where there were many small farms - often mixed stock and there would usually be a stud near the house - I knew more about animal husbandry than I did about human reproduction - I sometimes wonder why I was kept in the dark about the human side of it when animals bred out in the open and I just knew what went on

Dec

There are some traditions I miss @Owlunar @Hope4me @eth @Maggie @Former-Member @greenpea

I miss the early morning visit from my grandparents and the cutting of the ham first thing for breakfast, I also miss watching my grandparents prepare the lunch with all the roasted veggies they cooked. We still do something similar but it feels more like a chore than a lovely family get together - hoping this year will be different though. I will go around to my sister's house to help her prepare things this year. The last time we had sucha big gathering she put on a lot of food (way too much) but there will not be as many people this year so hoping she keeps it a bit simpler.

@Owlunar  "That which having been must always be" - such a wise saying - thankyou for that.  I may have reason to use it while mum is here.  She has re-written history in many ways to suit her current way of thinking (evangelical Franciscan Anglican) and denies that a lot of traumatic things ever happened.  Even relatively recent things.  That same history cracked open in me a couple of months ago in response to something she said about my adult child and their family and philosophy (very different from hers and something of a new way).  I didn't speak to her for a couple of months since then and have only this week exchanged a few words with her.   That's why I'm expecting it to be a mine field having her around.  It's on A Long Rave thread but I couldn't tell you which page sorry.

I think there might be quite a few of us on the forums that experience Christmas gatherings as a mine field, that's why I send wishes for the ability to be your authentic  self to everyone.

LOL re husbandry vs human reproduction knowledge @Owlunar!

nice @Zoe7 Cat Happy

Welcome to the loungeroom @TAB Cat Happy

Is there eggnog ? @Zoe7 lol

In the virtual Christmas Loungeroom there is anything you like @TAB Smiley Tongue

Hi @eth

It's true that the past happened - can anyone deny the truth that leaves it's mark? People like your mother and mine try to do that but I really love the idea of being our authentic selves - especially at Christmas - we might examine our scars but they are the reminders of the truth and the truth is something I honour 

I didn't speak to my mother through the decades - there were years on end when I didn't see my family and it was hard at the time but as I have grown long in the tooth I am glad I kept out of it and now - with few people left - I still do - 

Although I honour the past I do not like the idea - or the experience - of someone picking through the past to put it back together how they remember it. I'm sure everyone remembers things differently - and why not? - but trying to enforce someone else's truth onto anyone is not polite behaviour

Okay - I know about Evangelican Anglicans - Fransicsan adds another dimesions to that - I don't know about it. I left the Church some years ago for my own reasons but haven't lost my faith - that holds up well - I am Anglo-Catholic and really liked the form of service etc and I had grown up with it - but alas - people in the church as like people everywhere and sometimes we can fall out - and fall out I did - but I still believe in the 

Reason for the Season

But yes - let us always be authentic to ourselves - we are really the only person we have to please every minute until the Kingdom Comes

Dec

Mulled wine for breakfast!! ... As if!  I don't think it'll  help matters if I drink too much.

@Zoe7@TAB @Owlunar @Maggie @Hope4me @Former-Member

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance