Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: 👥 BOUNDARIES: Week long discussion 👥

@cloudcore wrote:

1. What are your most important values/greatest needs, and how do your boundaries reflect these?

Wow. This is more difficult to answer then I would've thought. Smiley Indifferent

My greatest need by far is my soulmate - my wife (who I'm yet to meet Smiley Sad) And in the same vein, a secondary, but still immensely important need, is my true family (again, who I'm yet to meet Smiley Sad)

Which ties in with my most important values, which are that we need to prioritize making life enjoyable - and therefore worth prolonging - to the people who behold us or are conscious of our existance. This is especially true if we are going to hold those people to an expectation that they ought to abstain from suicide and take an interest in prolonging their own lives.

@cloudcore wrote:

...and how do your boundaries reflect these?

The difficulty with that is that I am a very accommodating fellow by nature. Call it 'wishful thinking' if you will - the idea that if I spend enough time putting myself out to accommodate others, maybe someday somebody will be good enough to put themselves out for me and give me the help I so desperately need.

So I perhaps don't exhibit any hard boundaries as such. I tend to stand by and politely smile, while seething internally.

But I would have to say that one of my hardest boundaries is that I hate slander/defamation/demonization - call it what you will; depicting me in a way that makes me an unpleasant and/or undesirable character in others' minds. Because it's damaging on three fronts:

First of all, it potentially sabotage any potential union between myself and my future wife and/or real family - not only by potentially inciting them to dislike me before they've even met me, but also by inciting potential go-betweens to dislike me, as well (e.g. imagine that my soulmate just happens to be your sister. If you've been told: "that @chibam is a real loser" are you going to be more or less inclined to set me up on a date with your sister? Perhaps if we'd met without the defamation, you would've been more open to seeing the striking matches between myself and your sister and had more an instinct to see us as a great match for one another.)

Secondly, it sabotages my ability to do my part in making the world a place worth living in. When people are already primed to feel uncomfortable around you, it is a hell of a battle to cut through that and evoke happiness within them.

Thirdly, it turns me into a darkness that makes peoples' lives worse; not better. Completely against my consent, it turns me into the exact opposite of what I - as an ethical and dilligent person - aspire to be. Instead of being a force (be it weak or strong) that brightens peoples' lives and makes them more willing to survive; you turn me into a ghoul that makes them depressed and uncomfortable, and therefore a force (weak or strong) that makes their lives worse.

I set a boundary today that was accepted. So I am pleased with that.

Smiley Happy

In the main my values revolve around family and common decency to all beings.  It is how I have spent my time and my money.

What are your most important values/greatest needs, and how do your boundaries reflect these

Hi @cloudcore and everyone else.

Having loved with BPD for over a decade, I've found that communication is something I've learnt to value. I used to shut off and stay silent. But ultimately, this didn't help.

I say what I do, and do what I say. Hence I expect that from others - but it's not always the case.

Ive learnt to ask clarifying questions when things don't seem right, or I don't understand why people are behaving the way they are.

Im not a perfect communicator, but I'm working on it!

@BPDSurvivor wrote:

Ive learnt to ask clarifying questions when things don't seem right, or I don't understand why people are behaving the way they are.

Im not a perfect communicator, but I'm working on it!

Effective communication is just so important, isn't it, @BPDSurvivor ? I suck at it, personally; which, I suspect has caused more problems in my life then I'll ever be aware of. I speak and what I say makes perfect sense to me; but then sooner or later someone will respond, or rephrase my statement in such a way that makes it abundantly clear that I've been extremely misinterpreted.

IMHO, it all has to do with underlying inclinations and preconceptions. If you start off talking to someone who is fundamentally a differant-thinking person to you, with differant aspirations, your in for a bumpy ride trying to have a meaningful conversation with them.

@cloudcore 

Thank you. 

Number 1 amongst my many values. This is the top of my list. 

TRUST. - If you have not got any trust, you have got nothing. You can't build anything further without trust. 

Many people think that you should automatically give everyone your trust and then if they break that trust you gave them then re think things. 

I disagree entirely with that. Learnt too many times painfully and hard than to just give trust automatically. 

Trust is earnt. You dont trust a new person in your life with everything. That to me is completely nonsensical. At some point you have to give trust. I prefer to do it slowly and with little things at a time, which will lead to bigger things to trust said person. Another thing I try to do (still need lots of practice) is to watch a person with someone else, or watch what they say to me. For E.G. My friend so and so told me to never tell what she told me to anyone but I feel I can trust you. Well there it is right there, you are breaking your friends trust. To me if yoiu can do that, what would you do if I told you something in confidence? Harsh, I know, however the reality is that person could very well break your trust. 

So, I think in this case, my boundary would be that if someone was pushing me to trust them and getting so angry about it all, I would put my boundary down and say I build trust in people slowly, if you cannot be patient with me in building trust then we need to talk about this when you have calmed down. Something like that maybe?

@frog wrote:

...one thing that I struggle with is that I assume the best in others and because I prioritise these things, assume that others will too. Wishful/magical, thinking maybe!

It took me a long time (and still learning) to realise that effort on my part is not enough for a good outcome, and sometimes the wise thing to do is withdraw.

@frog  I do this too. Thanks for sharing as it has helped to clarify things for me. 

1. What are your most important values/greatest needs, and how do your boundaries reflect these?

I think time, honesty, warmth and mercy are things I value and need. 

The question is hard...I am learning to set time boundaries as I got burnout last year on the forums (burnout really sucks). Also, I've learnt to step back from people who refuse to have mercy on me. I also won't give my trust to people who are nice to someone's face but mean to them behind their back - cos they can do that to you too. But warmth in other people is attractive and tends to break down my boundaries!

I relate to this too @frog @NatureLover, and learned the hard way ...... I knew not to trust bullies from childhood experiences, but didn't recognise the 'smiling assassin' kind that I came across as an adult ...... 🙁

Thanks @cloudcore 💕

Hi @Shaz51 @frog @chibam @Appleblossom @BPDSurvivor @Powderfinger @NatureLover ,

Thank you for your thoughtful contributions to this discussion, your posts have highlighted two sets of important values:

- "instrumental" values: like trust, honesty, loyalty and respect; and

- "terminal" values: like fulfilling relationships, education, equality and self love

They are both equally important to consider when creating boundaries!

I also acknowledge the common experience of having difficulty communicating and enforcing boundaries with those in our lives, and the negative reactions boundaries can elicit. I know I have experienced these too, it can be scary and upsetting when faced with it. I'm really happy to hear that your boundaries were accepted @Appleblossom Smiley Very Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be posting the next question shortly, just tagging those involved in the thread, @Faith-and-Hope @LostAngel @Corny @Sophia1 , @Former-Member 

Questions for Tuesday 24th of August:

Boundaries can change depending on the situation or the relationship. 

1. Think about two relationships in your life, and describe the boundaries you have with each one. How are they similar, and how are they different?

2. What boundaries do you have irrespective of who you have a relationship with?

3. Additionally, what boundaries remain or change for interactions online?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance