Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

sad72
New Contributor

suicidal partner

Hi ,

I am very new to this and I am unsure where to start.

I have a partner who over the last few months has been threatening that he will commit suicide. 

He has had 2 attempts and recently was hospitlized for over dosing on Depression, anxiety and reduce of alcohol and drug related medications only to be given more medication and released from hospital the very next day.  He has a history with some very bad relationship breakdowns and abuse.

In his past he abused drugs and alcohol to deal with his depression and anxiety and now that he is attempting to dry out so to speak he has turned into an absolute monster. His anger and depression is taking its toll on my life as he is demanding my 24/7 attention and support, to the point that he will threaten my life if i dont drop everything and go to him .

I work fulltime and have a young child from a previous marriage .

I do not live with my partner any more due to his behaviour and threats towards myself and my family.I have reported everything to our police, hospital , help lines and yet no one seems to be able to help me .

This man is becoming extremly dangerous not only to himself but others .

He constantly contacts me and blames me for what he is about to do or how he feels and states if i die, this is all your fault.

To cut a very very long story short , how can we help these people if hospitals won't , I seriously feel as though i will have a mental condition soon if he is not helped.

Apparently there is no phyciatrists in QLD ? Is this true.

Not sure how much more I can take . Is he manipualting me to save him ? 

Please remove this post if you feel it is not appropriate for this page .

5 REPLIES 5

Re: suicidal partner

Hi there @sad72 ,

It sounds like you're going through such a difficult time.  Please  make contact with 1800 RESPECT here for advice and support on how to keep you and your daughter safe.

Warm Regards,

Kuu

Former-Member
Not applicable

@sad72

Can I ever so gently say that we would not blame ourselves if a friend died from heart disease. Although it manifests itself differently, our loved ones have conditions that without appropriate treatment are potentially terminal and sadly for some, even with.  As much as we would like it to be, love is not the cure for mental illness, being appropriately supportive does however lead to better outcomes (and yes, that can and often does involve tough love).

Sadly, lack of insight and self medication is an all too common problem and I am hoping other forum members who have experience with this might be able to help. As they say you can lead a horse to water .... sometimes rock bottom has to be reached before people will seek help with their issues. 😬

Looking after our own mental health is a priority. There are a lot of mental health supports available.

The Carer Gateway has a search bar at the bottom of this link which will help you with what is available in your region - there will be some that are for drug & alcohol as well as mental health.

https://www.carergateway.gov.au/connecting-with-other-carers

I will tag you in a self care and social thread.

Thank you so much for your input and links .

It was another tough night with messages and phone calls until all hours this morning , it is sad to say but it becomes very frustrating .

I know I have done all I can but it never seems enough .

I find I am losing myself in this battle. 

Then perhaps your care should shift to yourself? You can only care for others better than yourself for so long before you will burn out. 

It is not selfish at all to view things this way. There is also the possibility you may give and give with things getting back to a "good" point only to have them leave you when you need help and care back.

Each person has to decide their own limit but I learnt the hard way not to keep caring for someone better than care for myself. Particularly if they always pull back when you need help. 

Former-Member
Not applicable

@sad72

I too was very lost,  being a strong and resilient person I struggled far more than I realised when my husband deteriorated and was "paralysed" after he attempted, finding it difficult to concentrate on work etc.  His pdoc gently told me I needed to do something about it.

I chose the pathway of counselling and have greatly benefited from it (which is evidence based as being effective in anxiety reduction) and I cope so much better now, being far more compassionate to myself but it took me far too long to understand 'self care'.  I also realised that I am not trained in psychology and am Mr Darcy's  wife/lover and not his therapist and I stopped trying to fix him, rather encouraging him to discuss his concerns with his psychologist.

Having our own therapist can help with setting and maintaining boundaries - relationship rules that protect our hearts. 

Your GP can do a mental health plan that allows up to 10 Medicare rebateable visits/year  to a psychologist (some bulk bill).

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance