Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Rebecca
Casual Contributor

my bipolar son

I am new to this forum. I joined today after having to deal with my 17 year old son's bipolar disorder for the past two years. Now it has come to the state I struggle alot with his mood swings day and night. His constant bullying is the hardest to endure. I am trying to keep my sanity by taking long walks, crochetting etc. 

My son is on medication prescribed by psychiatrist, after being taken to emergency by police. He told a friend, he was going to take his life. That lovely person called tripple 000. My son also sees a psychologist. 

I know my story is not any different from most of you in this forum. I am writing this in a hope I will be able to be in touch with people who are in the same plight as I am. My husband doesn't understand what I go through, as he works  and I am at home currently unemployed for the past 14 months.  I realise my son is going through a tough time. But I am exhausted.

Rebecca

2 REPLIES 2

Re: my bipolar son

Hello

Welcome to the forum.

Yes there is lots of wonderful people to touch base with here who will be able to share stories and good words of advise.

Im so glad to read you are already working on some self care strategies for your self- exercise and hobbies and interests are so important. Its very much ok to keep working on your self and your own health while you are a carer.

I wonder how you can voice to your son that your feeling bullied by him 😞

Baboo

Re: my bipolar son

Hi Rebecca, I also have a 17 year old son diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. He had his first psychotic episode last year and spent 4 weeks in hospital. Like your son, he was admitted through the Emergency Department. Since then he's been on medication and thankfully he's been doing really well. However, I just found out today that he's been smoking marijuana again which is really disappointing because it was likely drugs that caused his first episode. So it's a bit of a roller coaster.

I am a single parent. I had to quit my job to take care of my son last year, but now that he's going well, I am doing a short  course at Tafe. But now I'm worried that if he has another episode it will interfere with me getting work, so it's frustrating.

I just wanted to let you know you are not alone

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance