Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our stories

Re: Ups and Downs of Husband`s Mental Illness

Cognitive deficits = yikes @Shaz51 

Mr Darcy tells me he has trouble concentrating and subsequently listening. Sometimes he seems to have no idea what has been said, at other times he remembers details I don't. 

Sometimes I wonder if how much of this relates to how much he is interested in the topic *sighs.

Cognitive deficits , yes same here @Former-Member 

sometimes i think " am I losing it "

Sometimes he seems to have no idea what has been said, at other times he remembers details I don't.-- yes the same here sighs alright

he won`t remember things and i have to remind him

hello @Former-Member , how are you going today

I was reading Cognitive deficits ,last night

@Shaz51 

I found this web page explains what cognitive function is in easy to understand terms.

http://alzheimers.emory.edu/healthy_aging/cognitive-skills-normal-aging.html

@Former-Member, level of interest definitely makes a difference. It's not necessarily that he's not paying attention at other times. There's neurological functions that simply engage better when it's a subject we enjoy or feel personally connected to.

I got a sneak preview of what it's like to lose cognitive function after neurosurgery all those years ago... short term to long term memory transfer relies on the frontal lobe being able to "place" the new memory in an orderly manner. Problems happen when the brain can't hang on to the memories long enough to make the transfer, or when the memories get stored in a disorderly manner. When it was explained to me, I made the analogy of "instead of putting the memory in it's right place on a shelf, the brain opens the door and throws it into the room".  Which means the memory is there, but hard to find.

An external "marker" such as someone reminding you or a written note in a diary can act as a link to the misplaced memory sometimes. And the act of writing it down can help put things into neurological order. So having a clipboard (or tablet?) with a checklist for garden jobs might help. "Mowing- yes/no. Areas to avoid- _____" "Garden waste to collect-yes/no. Details____" Once written down, he may never even need to refer back to the list, but if he does, it's right there. Am not sure whether the physical act of writing might be more effective than an electronic checklist.

@Smc, @Former-Member , @Former-Member , @outlander , @Maggie 

mr shaz was sooo anxious about starting a new mowing job today xx

Are you ok @Shaz51  ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

@Smc , @Former-Member , @Maggie 

Mr shaz was sooo anxious about starting a new mowing job today 

He is soo worn out now that he said that he has had enough 

Soo I said , don't take on anymore work , cut back and relax 

Hello my @Maggie , thank you my darling xxxx

Trying to get a balance between looking after my mum , helping Mr shaz and working and my problems 

How are you my Darling , thinking of you lots xx 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance