Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Scatterbrain
New Contributor

Torn between caring for my husband and our young kids

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and after reading a few of the posts am quite sure I'm in the right place.

I care for my husband (married for 5 years, together 12), who hasnt got a concrete diagnosis but was tentatively diagnosed with bipolar on his last hospital stay. He also has cptsd, and fits the bill perfectly for BPD and rejection sensitive dysphoria. He is chronically suicidal and has made three attempts in the past (I met him as inmates in an adolescent psych ward after his first attempt). He would have a proper diagnosis but his main psychologist (who is absolutely excellent) doesn't like to label her patients 😕

I also care for our three children, 5yo, 3yo, and 1yo. My husband can’t live with us full time because he tends to become very erratic and has had a few (manic?) episodes in the past where he lost control and was screaming and breaking stuff. He also gets irritable, yells at the kids and nit-picks our eldest’s behaviour to a ridiculous degree when he’s more unwell. He rents a room in a sharehouse that's walking distance from my place, and stays there three nights a week. I find that the three nights away is enough of a reset for him that he is able to be calm and present when he’s here, and be respectful to the kids.

I’m trying really hard to listen to my intuition and tell him to go to his other place when my gut tells me it’s needed. I find it very hard to trust my intuition but it’s been right pretty much most of the time so far! It’s really tough though because when I can see he needs to go, he’s already in a very anxious state of mind and gets extremely hurt and rejected when I ask him to go to his other place. I try to avoid having to ask him to go by having set days where he knows he stays at his other place, but things are fluid sometimes and he’ll come here to help with housework or for dinner on his off nights and then we’ll forget he’s supposed to go.

It’s so hard. I feel torn between caring for and being there for my husband, who is a beautiful, wonderful, loving man, and for our kids. I have to prioritise the well-being of the kids at the expense of his mental well-being and it breaks my heart to hurt him. I’m in this for the long haul, we believe marriage is forever so I’m not giving up, but damn it it’s bloody hard. When he is able to see things clearly he sees how much I love him and all I do to care for him, but when he’s in the middle of fight/flight and his brain is screaming at him, it looks to him like I hate him and am trying to undermine and control him.

I’m not sure what the point of this post is, I suppose to introduce myself and my situation. I’m scared he’s going to go through with his suicidal ideation that never goes away, and I’ll be a young widow with three small traumatised children. I’m stressed and stretched far too thin, and have no friends to talk to about it (I suspect I am on the autism spectrum and/or have ADD, which accounts for my inability to make friends).

Anyway. Hello all, I’m happy I’ve found this forum with people who understand this unique pickle we all seem to be in. I hope to stay for a while!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Torn between caring for my husband and our young kids

hi @Scatterbrain welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing your story,it sounds so hard for you dealing with so much at once hope you find friends and support on the Forums and well done for trying so hard to keep your family together despite all the issues you are facing,if you need to talk to someone by phone for support there is always ParentLine and Lifeline as wellHeart  

That sounds rough Scatterbrain. But you sound very strong, with a clear resolve to support your husband & keep your kids away from any unhealthy behaviour. I admire that.

It sounds to me like you have actually developed a very good compromise (3 nights away) situation for the health & safety of your kids and your husband. Perhaps you could preemptively send him to his other place, to avoid him getting to that wound up stage? It might mean sacrificing some time with him when he is well, so that it might eliminate any time with him when he’s unwell. I don’t know.. just a thought.

But you should also make sure you have some support for yourself too, even if it is random strangers in the forums 🤗 Welcome!

Hello Scatterbrain,

I feel for u v much tho i don't feel qualified ib any way to answer as i we don't have children. I think u r doing a great job n have great respect for yr attitude to husband a d. children. Can you get help or advice. from yr GP ? Or ph thus forums.ph number at top of page. I did once n found it helped. Not because i was in any desperate crisis but just to talk to a professional. i had to wait few mins on hold then had a good 15min chat. It woukd have been longer if needed. I hope u can also get some gelp from others on autism/aspergers groups (any in yr area) to give you more friends and more confidence. I greatly admire your love n commitment to all yr family. !!! Keep hopeful and am sure u will find appropriate help. May God guide, best wishes, Melly  cc @Jupiter @Former-Member

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance