Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Grasshopper3
Senior Contributor

Prognosis: "Likely to deteriorate within next 2 years"

I'm starting new thread. I don't feel like saying too much though. Title says it all. 

The new Psych was a lovely man. He listened to my son telling him he thinks I'm a reptile-phobian, whatever that means. Maybe he has been noticing my skin is getting wrinkly? I'm really trying to do my best here, knowing it was his mental illess talking and I try to be brave but what am I going to do with the Prognosis the Psych wrote on my sons medical certicate?

It is a good sign my son has some insight and is prepared to talk to professionals and takes his meds.

The psych also wrote me a medical certificate to give to work, I have to care for my son and stay with him for a week.

We both agreed I cannot leave my son alone so I cannot go to work. This has been a great distraction in the past. 

My son has been asleep on the coach non stop for 15 hrs, when he woke up he was in Zombie like state.

He smoked a few siggies ate his dinner and now he is banging himself on the head as he wants to go back to sleep and he can't. I hope his meds kick in soon. This is just unbearable, now complaining of restless legs. 

The Psych and I discussed oncoming trip overseas, he said he will get him wavers to make him sleep. His next depot will be increased as well. He said not to worry the medication will make him sleep better, and symptoms will settle by time we go. 

I am not feeling well myself, deflated, anxious, and thoughts go to my head my son will always be medicated, asleep, a vegetable. We've been at it since he was about 10 yrs old, and it ccontinues on and on. 

He is tired of life. I cannot bear the thought he succeeds with another attempt to end it all. But I would understand why as he lives in such a delusional paranoid world, and if sleeping is the only way to disconnect, what is the purpose of living?

A clinic nurse will come and see us tomorrow. I must stay positive and happy and strong but you can see my predicament. I also made appointment with my psychologist who stressed I must keep looking after myself and she clearly understands I need some respite soon so I can recharge. I promised to speak to the clinical nurse tomorrow.

I found another Bongo drum on Gumtree, did some colouring in and went to gym for a bit. I try to keep busy but Im in robot like state.

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Prognosis: "Likely to deteriorate within next 2 years"

Hello @Grasshopper3

@I hope you don't mind my responding.

you must be devastated. In shock.

i didn't realise that he was so unwell. Since 10 years old?

why hasn't he had better help? I am so pleased to hear that you have psychologist appointment and clinical nurse coming tomorrow. Yes you need time off work also.

hopefully some respite care is organised for you soon too

you are both in my thoughts still, sending hugs and love

please write when you can and feel up to it  xxx

Hi @Grasshopper3

It sounds like all the practical bases are covered: good psychiatrist, adjusted dosage and new meds, psychologist, clinic nurse visits. Next ingredient is time for the meds to work. He sounds very unwell and I'm sure you're discussing all options with the psychs and visiting nurse. (Those visiting nurses are amazing; visited us every night for weeks, checked meds, helped us all keep 'balanced' at a very difficult time.) I hope you're managing OK.

@Former-Member, @patientpatient

thanks for your support girls. I'm overwhelmed at moment. Here I thought we were doing great, and whammo, a trigger and a relapse. 

I am so lucky he recognises it and is willing to take meds. 

I am used to a busy life, working fulltime but with me staying home... I try to make the most of it seeing my son 24/7 suffer in silence is a killer.

'look after yourself, look after yourself, look after yourself" I do the best I can. checking how I'm feeling all the time.

He woke up today and we managed to walk to the shops as he had run out of tobacco. He said 'I'm lost' whilst walking back. I said: we just do one step at the time, we are going in the right direction sweetheart. 

At home I fill my time with Macrame, drawing, and I sneaked in a couple of glasses of wine at dinner. I know a bit of negative coping behaviour but it was nice. Then watched Neil Diamond on Youtube @Soul and had a bit of karaoke time.

Son doesnt say much, but started eating a bit again.  Apart from walking 2 kms to shop not active at all, just staring and pacing up and down when having a smoke

The Sane Forum has been very quiet. Am I looking for too much attention? Will that make me feel better? Ok I get it, there are things I cannot be in control,and there are just too many at the moment....Apart from you girls @Former-Member @patientpatient no direction, guidance or words of comfort from Community or Moderators? How does this work? Can't anyone see I am struggling? This is same in real life. I tell people my predicement and they say ohhh sorry to hear. and they just walk off, no one is asking how we are going. I feel isolated. The Clinical Nurse hasnt been either as he is sick.

I think I have to attend HelpingMinds meeting again, and meet REAL people.

All I can do for now is, waiting..... for better times.

Take care of you, always 

Heart

hello @Grasshopper3

yes being at home when you are used to working would be unsettling as well

we need some routine

i am flabbergasted at prognosis

how can they be so sure?

could it not just be shock anger disappointment rejection?

how. Can they differentiate from the illness and normal reactions from a 22 year old male?

i agree about answers I looked for the same

darcy, Sam, patient patient and a couple of other parents have given some direction

the rest is a guide sheet, some research

i have borrowed a couple of books from the library but am in wrong mindset to read at moment. Will borrow them agai later

every person is different and every case is different so is hard info seems more based on living with it

important you get respite

i sense the same that silence

i am listening so write whatever you feel

that other thread was not about this at all

i need to keep hearing all about schizophrenia

havent heard from him again in a week could mean anything so am thinking in the now

no point in pondering

keep posting

love to you both xxx

so sorry, I hope you hear from him soon.
the not knowing is just as bad as seeing him suffer on day to day basis.
I wish I could be more to you than a typing pal lol

Hi @Grasshopper3

The wording of the prognosis is the same as one of the categories on a Centrelink Medical Cert. The other categories are "likely to persist", "stabilised", "uncertain" and "likely to show considerable improvement within the next two years". Our GP usually ticks the "uncertain" box, and the psych ticks "likely to persist". It's just a category on a form and may actually be useful if you apply for DSP (sorry I can't recall, you may have applied already).

I hear what you're saying about respite. I don't know the answer and feel the same way at times. It sounds like today was a better day than yesterday. In our case, it took many months to get over a relapse but the worst part of it stabilised in a few weeks. As @Former-Member mentioned, every case is different.

I don't mind being included as one of the "girls". I'm the dad, mum moved away ... (similar story, just switch the genders.)

@patientpatient whoopsies. Sorry I assumed you were a female...Respect to you, sir, for caring for your son and not abandoning him,
Thank you for keeping in touch so much.
He has applied for DSP and was interviewed over the phone. He was told his application will be reviewed next year so he is staying on Newstart allowance which pays for his smokes. he managed saving $50 which he spent at Good Sammy's recently.
The psych asked about centre link so... Maybe you are right and he ticked that awful box to help him get his DSP. It would certainly help me care for him better.
I am trying to sell my car to free ourselves from a carloan.. (anyone interested)
Take care
🌷

Hey @Grasshopper3
I too have found mental illness to be a lonely road in many ways. I would love to wrap my arms around you and tell you it is all going to be OK but the reality is that I can't. I know the road is long, the struggles seemingly endless, I too cannot bear the thought of my husband reattempting, the odds for this are super high, I understand how you feel about the lack of joy. I work to support us although Mr Darcy does get the DSP (not much $ due to my wage but we do get reduced bills which really helps). I am fortunate that he does not self medicate and I teetotal in sympathy as psych meds + grog = bad news.
We too have a trip coming up, just interstate, I haven't seen my mum for 2-3 years due to mental health crisis and she is getting old, Mr Darcy is on the down too, it does feel unfair at times, but it is what it is and I find that

I think sometimes anything I can say seems so inadequate @Grasshopper3
In all of Mr Darcy's illness, I have tried to maintain a sense of humour and have held tight to my faith. I found a website called freshhopeus that gave me hope that you can live well in spite of a mental health diagnosis. I defiantly hold to that hope.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance