Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Julie4
New Contributor

Need support adult child with PTSD

My adult daughter has been diagnosed with PTSD 3 years ago. Our relationship is struggling, we clash, I struggle to understand what she is going through but she won't talk about it. She acts like we are the enemy. We used to get on really well, and now she isolates herself from everyone, friends and family.(she has no friends) I try to be kind, and patient, but for example if I say " thats a lovely outfit, you look nice" her response tells me that what she is hearing is " nothing else you wear looks any good" I feel like this is it now, she is shutting us out, blaming her family for things that happened years ago, that I had forgotten about, I don't understand, I have read information on it on the internet,I just want my daughter back. We used to do things together, she makes me feel like I am being selfish. I need help understandiing how she is feeling because she won't tell me. Or, she will say something once, and if I don't react the way she expects or say the wrong thing (which is always), she shuts down.She tells me he hates me, I want her to know i love her, and I don't know what to do. She is having counselling, I think she was happpier before she went to counselling, all it does is make her miserable, its been years since I saw her laugh. I wish I could reach her, but I can't. I will not see a counsellor for myself because I have spoken to someone before about something else, and quite frankly i thought they were no help at all. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Need support adult child with PTSD

Hello and welcome to the forum @Julie4 

letting you know that we are here for you

the link below , just click on the link and it will take you there

Parents Supporting Unwell Adult Children 

@Faith-and-Hope@emerald7 

Re: Need support adult child with PTSD

Hi @Julie4

Welcome to the forums ~ 

I am sorry to hear how challenging things have been for you. It sounds like you really want to support her the best way you can but has been having some difficulties in doing so. 

Your wellbeing and self-care are very important also, Julie4. Different counsellors have different approaches, which may or may not be suitable for everyone. It could take some time before we can find the 'right' person for our needs and personal situations. But, I think we can all get there in the end if we keep trying 🌞 

If you feel up for it, I would like to recommend connecting with the SANE Help Centre. They are available from 10 am to 10pm via phone (1800 18 7263 ) or webchat. You find out more information here.  

Take care, Peonies 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance