Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

DessertPea
Casual Contributor

Hi, just introducing myself...

So I've discovered this forum tonight because I'm really struggling at the moment. I'm a 37 year old woman and since the age of 14 I have been dealing with depression, anxiety, an eating disorder, CPTSD and trichotillomania (hair pulling). Recently I have put on a lot of weight from medication I think which has really impacted my depression and I'm just finding it really hard to keep going. 

I feel like I have two lives - I work 4 days a week and I'm quite good at what I do, but then in the evenings I crash. I'm on medication, I have a psychologist and psychiatrist, and occasionally use Lifeline to help me get through the evenings. I guess I just wanted to reach out to others who are going through similar things. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Hi, just introducing myself...

hi @DessertPea and welcome
it sounds quite tough for you, you've a lot to contend with! im glad you have some support in place, do you think speaking to one of them about how much your struggling atm and how the medication side effect is affecting you?
I had a weight gain side effect and it really affected me too, I spoke with the psychiatrist though and we were able to to work out coming off it safely and trying another medication. maybe yours could help you with something like this to?

@DessertPea  Welcome Dessertpea!:D peas are always welcome here lolx Have you had a chance to look around the forum as yet? there are many threads which you might find interesting. A good way to start is to check out the Good Morning!  thread. It is a thread that has posters on 24/7 just saying hello to each other and having a general chit chat but there are many other threads as well. You might like to make up your own threads it is up to you :D. Just giving you the heads up if you want to post to someone inparticular put a @ in front of their name like I and @outlander  did for you and they will receive a notification of your post.

Looking forward to seeing you around the forum fellow pea. Love greenpeax

Hi @DessertPea and another welcome to the forum 🙂

I can relate to feeling like you have two lives at times. To most people I would look like I have it together and am managing quite well but inside I feel different to that. I find I can crash badly in the evenings too. Like I've held it together throughout the day then it falls apart when I stop or am on my own.

Do you have any family or friends you can speak with who know what goes on for you in the evenings or how you're feeling at times?

It's great to see you here. I find it helpful to be here where I can be real about how things can be for me. I hope you find it helpful too.

Looking forward to seeing you around 🙂

Welcome @DessertPea 

Can relate to the weight issue.  I work full time and find it quite tiring of late.  Hope you can make some friends and connections here.  There is also these few threads  The Weekly Friday Feast and Saturday Soiree - all welcome!! .  Also Coping Box might be handy to have up your sleeve.

Take care 🙂

Hi @DessertPea , and welcome,

my weight has gone up because of medication, then down due to reducing medication, then up again due to comfort eating after losing my cat 2 1/2 years ago plus now my meds have gone up.. It's all very well people saying that body image doesn't matter but if you are not happy with your body image it doesn't help your mood.

I also often crash on getting home from work.. its very draining. And doesn't encourage me to exercise much as its hard to be motivated when you've given your all to work. Finding a work / life balance can be challenging. But you are within a great supportive community here which can only be a good thing.

Hi @DessertPea 

Glad you found the forum. For me it's been really helpful to hear from people with similar experiences.

I can really relate re weight gain. It's a dilemma if you can also see some benefit from medication. I agree with @outlander that it's worth having a conversation with the psychiatrist about different options on that front.

Also have experienced crashing after work. I find it very hard to pace myself and come home exhausted and vulnerable, and have caring responsibilities to deal with at that point.. Is shifting the work pattern, or working even a little less per day possible?

Take care.

@greenpea 

As another newbie I very much appreciated your tips. 💙

@Billy_  Hey Billy... and welcome. Really great to have you and @DessertPea  aboard. Another thread you might like to look at is the A long rave  . I will tag @eth  in on the conversation as she has been with the rave for a long time. See you both around the forum :Dxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance