Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Dealing with intrusive thoughts - my struggle!

I am glad you’re here too @Molliex .

Do you have discrete earphones for your phone, and music to play ?  You might get away with sitting in a bit of a corner with one or both earphones in and listening to music that helps to settle you.

We had a really bad year (or two) with my husband being ranty and overbearing in a way that sent my anxiety through the roof and I often felt quite shaky ..... it was situational anxiety because I have a calm nature usually.  I played a classical piano album (has 40 contemporary tunes) so often that even now, just hearing that music calms me and slows the fight-or-flight adrenaline response.  I am sort-of feeling that way today, because we have had some difficult weeks, so playing that album now while I type.

Remember that you can retreat to a bathroom for 15 minute breaks, or step outside to a garden area for a similar period of time, saying that you just need a little fresh air and a bit of time out / time to think about things that are on your mind.

Hi @Molliex,

I understand how difficult intrusive thoughts can be, especially when they find a new "theme". I've been diagnosed with OCD and sometimes it feels like whack-a-mole trying to sort everything out. I'll be doing pretty well with one issue to the point where I don't really feel much anxiety about the thoughts at all and then BLAM my brain gets creative and throws a new one at me. It's a constant state of "really, again?!".

I've dealt a lot with suicidal thoughts too, and in the past it's driven me bonkers trying to work out if they're "real" (i.e. I want this to happen) or just another OCD trick. Sometimes it has been both. It makes it difficult to talk to a professional too - they might be extremely alarmed, or ask you to rate your level of belief in the thought (which is nigh impossible, because it's underpinned by doubt).

I don't really have much advice to add - and it seems like you've got a good support system already - but I wanted to assure you that you're not alone. I'm available to talk if you need/want.

Hi @Faith-and-Hope  it sounds like you've got some tried and tested techniques to help you get through. I can't really get away with earphones as I am at the family table, but taking little breaks when I can is a good idea.

I hope the music is helping you this evening x

It is @Molliex , thanks 😊

You will find you can slowly put together your own little bag of tricks to help you through.

Another of mine is to paint my fingernails with my favourite colour, so looking at my hands as I do things with them is a self-care moment ..... eating, writing, driving, doing my artwork ..... little flashes of my favourite colours before my eyes, and often different colours on different fingers.

Hi @Lise07 ,

thanks for sharing. As much as I don't like to think anyone else is experiencing these issues, it's nice to know that I am not alone.

Wack-a-mole is actually a pretty great analogy for it! It feels like ants to me - somehow they always find their way in, no mater what you do about it.

I'm lucky to have good friends/family/medical professionals helping me (which is great, but then again makes me feel guilty for needing it, i mean, what do i have to be depressed about?)

Thanks again, nice to know you're here x

Hey @Molliex
Are you new?
I haven't seen you about. Either way. Nice to see you 🙂

I have found ACT useful in the past. I still use it from time to time.

Hi @MDT - yes I am new, just joined today. I put a post in the intro thread 🙂 I like the idea of ACT, but I am still working on actually using it.

Thanks for your welcome!

Hi @Molliex  and welcome to the forums.  It's great that you've found us.  And brave of you to share openly about what you're going through.  So glad to see you've already found a crew of supportive people here and good suggestions of self-care activities.  I've been plagued by what I call 'cyclic thinking' and obsessing on 'what if's' for many years and now have quite a few things in my 'tool box' that I can do to break out of it sometimes.  There's a thread called Coping Box that you might find helpful where I posted my list.  Here's the link  https://saneforums.org/t5/Looking-after-ourselves/Coping-Box/td-p/20101/page/13

Hope you have a peaceful day.

hello @Molliex  i see youve already met some of our lovely members and i too would like to extend that welcome. there have been some pretty good suggestions and i hope some of them will be helpful for you too. Like you when my depression is really bad i dont have the motivation or the energy to think much past a few minutes so it makes it harder to try and cope. However on the broader ways to cope i find arts and crafts of all sorts (painting, drawing, crocheting or even looking for new projects to do), exercise, baking, watching fave tv shows, or going for a drive with some good music is most helpful. 

there are some threads here that may be of interest in terms of coping such as Got a coping strategy that you find good? Share it here 🙂  Coping Box  that might have some other suggestions as well. 

Ive forgotten if youve mentioned whether you have any supports to help you work through your emotions and thoughts? 

Hi @eth thanks for your reply.

I'll take a look at the thread, I'm always looking for new strategies. Thanks 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance