Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

DTrain
Casual Contributor

Daughters mental health what to do.

As a father nothing compares to the love I have for my baby....now 19. My daughter now lives by herself as she struggled at her Mums and logistically and for a myriad reasons living with me was not ideal. She loved her place, I help her out financially probably a bit too much. 
Her mental health has been addressed since she was 16. She managed with love and support to have an outstanding year 12 scoring 96.

Now her plans for uni are on hold, she works part time has done for a while, but has problems at work and gets anxious and irritable.She struggles to adult...pay bills, go to doctor, counselling appointments, Centrelink appointments. She can drive but has not got her Ps. Now this has became a problem.

My ex and I did sit her down and talked. She got onto her meds, started to sleep,excersise and rest better. But has slipped back into old ways. She rarely goes out other than with her partner ( female ) who also has some issues. To me it's always somebody's fault, that she is like she is. I have supported and listened and bailed her out often. She can go days without contacting our replying to me. I Only hear from her when the wheels have fallen off and she is low.....that is very taxing.

When she gets like this she becomes irrational and hyper sensitive. She is so beautiful, so clever and is just a shell of whom she can be. I think about her and her welfare on the hourly. She threatens not being around and how I don't give a shot when she is low....it cuts deep because it's so far from the truth it's laughable. I can't see light at the end of the tunnel.....

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Daughters mental health what to do.

Hi @DTrain 

I can hear just how much you care for and love your daughter and at the same time acknowledge those difficulties you’re expressing. 

Living independently can be quite a transition & I admire that choice for her as well as hearing that it comes with adjustments of being an adult.

You sound like such a supportive dad and just wonder how you might be also taking care of yourself while supporting her? if you have your own ways of getting support for yourself? 

Hi @DTrain 

First of all welcome to the forums I haven't seen you here before. 

I can see that you adore your daughter and I hope you find support here on the forums. 

I walk Greyhounds's after work, I eat well , I do yoga I talk to my wife. It still does not take away the pain but it helps.

1. I walk Greyhounds's after work, I eat well , I do yoga I talk to my wife. It still does not take away the pain but it helps.

It’s harder than ever. She is 19 but sends me messages saying I need to be accountable for her mental health plan. I think she wants to be admitted into a clinic.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance