Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Needpeace
Casual Contributor

After advice

Hi I’m new.

My 23yr old son suffers from depression and anxiety. Though his moods go up and down, like the weather.( From sad, anxious , angry, happy all in an afternoon ) 😩 Which is starting to take its toll on me .

I love to garden and crotchet.

Looking forward to suggestions  on how to handle these moods and being part of this group. 

9 REPLIES 9
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: After advice

Good morning @Needpeace 

Mood swings in our loved ones = 😬

Getting support for ourselves = 😀

Connecting with others who understand = 🙌

I will tag you in some threads that may be helpful to you, including a couple of social ones as it is important to maintain our own self care.

Thank you Darcy, 

I feel a bit better this morning, just by joining . 

Gives me hope 🙏

hello @Needpeace  and welcome to the forum

what kind of things you have in your garden Heart

Hello @Former-Member 

Welcome to the forum @Needpeace, it's great that you are feeling a bit better by joining the forum. It sounds like you're going through a tough time right now. Has your son just been diagnosed or has he had depression and anxiety for a while? 

Hi Ali11, 

my son has had depression for years now . Being treated by psychologist and psychiatrist and on medications.

The depression bouts dont seem to last as long as they used to, but the last 6 months his mood changes so quickly. You never know what to expect, as people say walking on egg shells and I feel the moods transfer over to us 😬 . Little things really bother him and will set him backwards. I lately wonder if there some other mental health issue. As he has said he can go from 0 -100 in mood in seconds.

when he’s feeling really anxious , you try to keep him distracted because sometimes that then turns into anger.  I’m an easy going person who doesn’t like drama, I find all this stressful. 🙁. Since he is not working at the moment, I often am rushing home or cancelling plans to make sure he is ok .  Thanks for letting me vent 🌻

It may be worth checking with his doctor to see if you can another diagnosis @Needpeace, especially if you are seeing different symptoms. I can see how hard it must be to keep up with your own interests and needs. Self-care is important though - do you have anyone you can talk to?

Hi @Needpeace ,

Sheila here.

I also have a 21 yr old who suffers from depression and anxiety as well as aspergers syndrome. I totally understand how draining it is for you and the walking on eggshells thing. 

I share your love of gardening, and sometimes just pop out and pull a few weeds just to feel grounded. I have a veggie patch too which is satisfying. What kinds of things do you have in your garden? 

How are you doing @Needpeace

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance