Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Angie47
Casual Contributor

Adult son with multiple mental diagnoses refusing treatment

My 30 year old son has suffered with mental illness for many years.  He has seen a number of psychologists and taken a number of prescribed medications.. He seems to be getting diagnosed with more and more illnesses and was recently told by his psychologist that he was too complicated for him to treat.  He has basically given up hope and refuses to seek further treatment because nothing has helped him long term in the past.  I'm worried he will commit suicide before he accepts help. I feel helpless and I must admit I 'm angry because he's giving up.  What do I do?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Adult son with multiple mental diagnoses refusing treatment

It sounds as though he needs a psychiatrist, will he see one?

I have had a psychologist refuse to treat me and referred me to a more skilled psychologist. 

The problem is he doesn't believe anyone can help him. I have tried to explain many times this isn't the case but he's really given up on himself. I feel sad as well as angry

Well I guess you can only be there for him. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Do you feel supported yourself? 

No I don't feel supported. I don't know how to help him.  I'm thinking of contacting one of the helplines for advice.

That's a good idea, you need some support. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance