Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

scaredmum
New Contributor

19yr old son

Hi all I am a 52yr old mum. My son has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, in the last 12 months. He has been into hospital for a 3 month stay and getting his meds right. He lives with his dad and older sister in newcastle I am in brisbane, caring for my mum with cancer so I dont get to see him much, my husband and ivare seperated but get on well. When I ring and speak to one of them they  vhtell me what he has been upto and i feel helpless as I am up here.when I speak to my son he says everything is good, but I knoe it isnt he has started secluding him self again from the rest of the family he just spends his days in his room on his computer. He comes out sometimes but not often, I feel he is going backwards again. I dont know what to do.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 19yr old son

Hello scaredmum,

Welcome to the forum!

My Name is Baboo, im one of the many moderator helpers on the forum here. 

Theres lots of wonderfully interesting people here with insightful stories that i hope you get a chance to read.

Im Happy that your son is getting support from the hospital, it must be a daunting experience for you though as the mother- and not being close by to lend a hand.

Does your son have any other interests that you know of besides staying in and working on his computer? Have you used "Skype" to talk to him? I would think speaking to him on a regular basis for general catch ups will help to start with- keep as good friendly relationship going as well as or as easy as you can- having supports in place with hospital again is a really good thing.

looking forward to reading your reply 🙂

Baboo

hi @scaredmum 

I'm assuming that your family are reporting that he's spending more time in his room - would that be correct?

What have been some of things in the past that have kept him from isolating himself. As @Baboo asked, was it a hobby? Or does he have particular friends that he gets along well with?

Sometimes people purposely isolate themselves, while sometimes people don't even realise they are doing it because it's so gradual and they don't notice the impact their mental health is having on their connections with others. Do you feel that your son is aware that he's isolating himself?

I don't think I've seen you around the Forums before, so welcome 🙂

CG

Hi @scaredmum 

Welcome to the forums. I also want to flag  this discussion & this discussion, both about other members who are caring for their children who have schizophrenia.

Hope this helps.

Nik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance