Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Ameth
Casual Contributor

support group

Hi all,

I have joined about a week ago and did some looking around. 

My specific situation is supporting a non-binary teen, anxiety and depression, which escalated recently in self-harm, maybe more, attempt. They are physically well, mentally we are finding help. My emotions go from non (I have to think and find them help) to sadness, anger, frustration and possibly any other emotion you can think of. As part of looking after me, (I have my hobbies and do my yoga daily) I am thinking of looking for a support group for parents of self-harming / suicidal teens. I am looking in Sydney. Any recommendations?

Or other thoughts on what I could do, as I am trying to be a supportive parent. 

thank you!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: support group

Hi @Ameth 

I just wanted to reach out and welcome you to the forums - it’s great to have you here Heart

I’m so sorry to hear about what’s happening for you and your teen and it makes so much sense that you’re wrestling with so many powerful emotions Smiley Sad

Caring for a loved one who is living with mental health issues can be incredibly challenging and as such, I just wanted to share some of the things that I found helpful, in the hope that these may be helpful for you too Heart

One of the things that I found really helpful, was when people learned a little bit about the particular mental health issues that I was living with and they took the time to understand how these impacted me. This was really important, as although they accessed some great resources, the resources didn’t capture my own personal experience, or allow for the fact that even though I was living with the mental health issues described in the literature, I often experienced these differently to what was written Smiley Happy

However, although I believe that it’s really important to take the time to understand our loved ones experiences, sometimes it can be really difficult for people to articulate and share what’s happening for them. As such, I just ever so gently wanted to encourage you to be kind and gentle with yourselves, as understanding the mental health issues that we’re living with can take time and it’s often an ongoing process Heart

Although there were times when I felt alone, confused and overwhelmed, one of the things that really helped me was having people that I could turn to for emotional support and reassurance. Although emotional support can be provided in a variety of different ways, I found that it was really helpful when people allowed me to share what was happening for me in my own time. Furthermore, I really appreciated it when people listened to what I was saying without judgement and instead they responded to me with a gentle sense of curiosity. Through doing so, they created a safe emotional space that helped me to feel comfortable to share the things that were happening for me Smiley Happy

I also found that it was really helpful when people asked me how they could support me, as not only did this afford me a sense of control (this was particularly important, as I often felt that I had very little control over what was happening in my life) but I also felt as though people valued my opinions and that they were acknowledging and respecting the fact that I was an expert in my own life Smiley Happy

Seeking professional support is a great idea and it’s fantastic that you’re in the process of organising this!

I can really hear how important it is for you to connect with other parents who are in a similar situation and as such, I just wondered if you’re familiar with an organisation called Reach Out?

Basically, Reach Out is an online mental health organisation that provide support to young people and their parents. One of the supports that they provide is a virtual space where parents can connect with one another. I’ve just included the link below, in case you would like to explore this further Smiley Happy

https://parents.au.reachout.com/

In addition to providing a virtual space where parents can connect with each other, Reach Out also provide free professional support on line or via the telephone for parents of teenagers aged 12 to 18 years. I’ve just included the link below, in case this is of interest to you Smiley Happy

https://parents.au.reachout.com/one-on-one-support

Another organisation that may be helpful for you is Kids Help Line Smiley Happy In addition to providing telephone and online counselling for children and young people aged 5 to 25 years, they’ve also created a section on their website especially for parents and carers and as such, it has a wealth of information in relation to a variety of issues - including mental health. I’ve just included the link below, in case you would like to explore their website Smiley Happy

https://kidshelpline.com.au/parents

The final resource that I thought may be helpful for you is Youth Mental Health First Aid Smiley Happy Basically, the course teaches parents (and other adults) how to support adolescents who are at risk of developing a mental health issue, or who are experiencing a mental health crisis. I’ve just included the link below, in case you would like to explore this further Smiley Happy

https://mhfa.com.au/cms/youth-course-information

Also, just while I remember, one of the things that really helped me when I was new to the forums and still finding my way around, was that if you would like to chat with another forum member, or reply to one of their posts, place @ in front of their username just like I did at the start of my post to you i.e. @Ameth  that way, they will receive a message that you have contacted them Smiley Happy

Please remember that you’re always welcome to reach out here whenever you need Heart Nothing is too big or too small and you’re welcome to share whatever feels safe and comfortable for you (as long as what we share adheres to the community guidelines Smiley Happy)

I hope that this helps you a little bit Heart

Take care of yourself,

ShiningStar Heart

Hi! A quick message to thank you for taking the time to write this. Much appreciated. I just had a quick read and will go and explore all the links and ideas. Love the idea for a mental health course and I knew about reach out.
Thank you! Hope you have a good day!

Hi @Ameth 

It was my pleasure Heart

It’s so lovely to hear from you Smiley Happy I had a feeling that perhaps you were already aware of Reach Out Smiley Happy It can be incredibly frustrating trying to find the supports that we need! There have definitely been times in my life, when I’ve felt as though I was searching for a needle in a very large haystack!

I was giving some more thought to the type of support that you’re searching for and Mental Health Foundation Australia popped into my head Smiley Happy

They provide a variety of support groups, one of which is the Parent’s and Carer’s Wellbeing Support Group which I thought sounded slightly promising!

Although (from what I can understand) the group doesn’t specifically focus on issues pertaining to self-harm and suicidal ideations, they do say: ‘Our Parents and Carer’s Support Group is a friendly place where parents, carer’s and guardians of children or people with a mental illness or related conditions can come meet, chat, share advice and support each other through care-giving responsibilities.’ As such, self-harm and suicidal ideations may be some of the issues that are discussed during the group Smiley Happy

The first group starts on the 9th of June which is this Wednesday Smiley Surprised

I’ve just included the link below in case this is something that you would like to explore further Smiley Happy

https://www.mhfa.org.au/SRG/parents--carers-wellbeing-support-group

I’ve also been thinking about some of the other forumites (this is how we sometimes affectionately refer to each other Smiley Happy) who may also be able to offer you some support.

I’ve had a little bit of mental blank in terms of who I could introduce you to and so I’m going to invite @Shaz51 to join our conversation as she’s extremely well connected and she has a great understanding about people’s circumstances : (Hi @Shaz51 Smiley Happy I hope that it’s ok for me to reach out to you for some support Heart) I just wondered if you knew of any forumites who are caring for teens (or who have cared for teens) living with mental health issues and who may be able to stop by and offer some support to one of our newest members @Ameth Heart)

I would love to hear how you’re travelling and if this resource was helpful for you Smiley Happy

Just remember to place @ in front of people’s usernames and that way they’ll receive a message that you have contacted / replied to them Smiley Happy

Take care of yourself,

ShiningStar Heart

hello and welcome @Ameth 

thank you for the tag @ShiningStar Heart anytime 

how are you today 

we have a thread called The Virtual Village - a space for parenting 'stuff' that you can click onto and i will tag you there too xx

letting you know that you are not alone my friend 

@greenpea@Faith-and-Hope@Smc@Determined@Appleblossom 

@Ameth 

Hello and welcome to the forum, although caring for a distressed teen is a difficult position to be in.  I do not know of anything in Sydney, but there is Carers Australia and often local clinics will run support groups for the their clients.https://www.carersaustralia.com.au 

Keeping your self care going is key for the long haul.

Stay Safe

Apple

Hi @Shaz51 

Thank you so much for your support Heart and for sharing the link to the virtual village - that sounds like a really great thread Smiley Happy

Take care of yourself,

ShiningStar Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance