Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

daisy20202-7
Senior Contributor

how do you find some friends similar age

hi everyone

was wondering how do you find a girl to hang around with now and then and friends similar age to you when you work in hospitality which requires working every weekend and every holiday when most young people that age are usually out and about doing something or go away to places.

until youre able to get out the industry however long it takes is there a way around it or will it be like it is until youre able to get out, and is there a way to still do it the way previous generations did or are you going to have to adapt to way this generation meets people if you want friends that age.

the only reason for not leaving hospitality yet is because of the good bosses.

and think that could be one in many reasons why so many people are leaving and getting out the industry during the coronavirus,

at moment the industry is busier than ever because of travel restrictions causing people to holiday home plus they probably done it 15-20 years and want to get out and some finally had the chance to do what they were thinking about for a while, plus the work life balance is poor.

what ways is there to find a girl and friends similar age to you while you work in hospitality until youre able to get out.

would it be a good idea to follow a persons advice at the local mens shed and start planning a way out and planning your next stage now even if you dont do anything tomorrow and take 5 years, because it may take 5 years and the time usually is to start causually planning while you still got plenty time.

in some cases whats usually clues that it could be time to start thinking about it.

thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: how do you find some friends similar age

Very difficult to find genuine friends. No wonder I am living alone and in isolation. Hope you eventually find a good genuine friend. Regards, Owen.

Umm.. DEpends on what kind of person you are.

Recently to find new people to hang out with, I started to volunteer in areas I was passionate about.. such as park runs, volunteering for clean up events, working at the RSPCA.. 

The other side is to join a facebook or meetup social group.. like movie goers, bowling, laser tag or skirmish.. I have joined a few 4wd groups over my time and made some great friends. 

Is there around it while you work unsociable hours until you can change industries and be able to have a much better work life balance and until you can get your own place or closer to it to be able to have people over more 

Hey @daisy20202-7 

I think it's a great question! How do we make and sustain connections when our work hours are not exactly made around everyone else's schedule? 

I'm not sure I have a great answer but I like some of the other ideas about volunteering in topics you are passionate about. I know online friendships don't suit everyone but something else I thought of was potentially joining some online groups with common interests? My partner for example plays games online with a lot of virtual friends all around the country and they all work different hours/different timezones but usually someone is about online. It might not be games but sometimes online can help because people are active at all hours! 

Keep us posted how you go! I'm sure a lot of Forum members would benefit from your lessons. 🙂 
- periwinklepixie

Hi again @daisy20202-7
Outside of your work are there any hobbies that you could do where you could meet people your age?
For myself, I have joined online groups I'm interested in via Facebook so art groups etc and have found friends on there that I talk to a lot.
I am person who generally talks to people 10 or so years older than me.. who knows why..
You will find your way..
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance